AT&T WatchTV Review
AT&T WatchTV is a streaming services app which allows users to access over 35 channels of live TV, plus over 15,000 on-demand movies and shows. A WatchTV account can be added to an AT&T Unlimited & More or AT&T Unlimited & More Premium wireless plan without incurring an additional charge. For those who don’t want an unlimited plan, Watch TV can be purchased as a standalone service for a competitive price. Those with an eligible wireless plan simply have to verify their AT&T mobile number, then create an account, in order to use the WatchTV service. The app can then be downloaded onto your compatible device, with each account able to stream on one device at a time.
See our full list of the best streaming services to find the right streaming service for you.
To use AT&T WatchTV, there are a number of compatible devices. For example, you can use the platform on Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV or Google Chromecast. If you want to browse content on a mobile device, it will work with an iPhone, iPad or Android phone or tablet. Alternatively, you can simply use a web browser on your desktop computer or laptop.
How to sign up for AT&T WatchTV
Sign-up options vary slightly depending on whether you already have a wireless plan with AT&T.
Existing AT&T Unlimited & More customers:
- Go to the URL www.attwatchtv.com/verify
- Check whether you are eligible for the plan by texting the number stated
- If you are eligible, follow the instructions on the page
Existing AT&T Unlimited & More Premium customers:
- Navigate to the URL www.attwatchtv.com/verify
- Check whether you are eligible by following the instructions detailed on the page
- Select a free 12-month music, movie or video premium plan
- Navigate to the relevant site if you choose Amazon Music Unlimited, VRV or Pandora Premium to complete the sign-up process there
- Download the AT&T WatchTV app from your app store and start streaming
Non AT&T Unlimited & More customers:
- Go to the URL www.attwatchtv.com
- Click on the button stating Start your free trial
- Create an account by filling in the web form with an email address, password and User ID
- Enter your payment information
- Note that after the 7 day free trial period has expired, you will be charged $15 a month unless you cancel beforehand
Content available with AT&T WatchTV
There are many live TV channels available with an AT&T WatchTV subscription – these include:
- Animal Planet – Watch educational and exciting documentaries about domestic and wild animals.
- BBC America – The US arm of the well-known British broadcaster, offering news, entertainment and more.
- Cartoon Network – A wealth of childrens’ programming and family friendly viewing to keep the little ones occupied.
- CNN – Get up to date on the latest in US news, entertainment, health, sports, politics and weather.
- Comedy Central – View classic comedy favourites and the latest programming which specialises in this genre.
- Discovery – A mixture of reality TV programs and science-based shows to expand your mind and imagination.
- Food Network – Educate yourself on new recipes, healthy eating ideas and fresh ways to cook with the best chefs around.
- Hallmark – Holiday movies, romance flicks, TV shows and more to set the mood during those special moments.
- Lifetime – Watch a range of classic reality shows such as Dance Moms and American Princess.
- MTV – Learn about the latest in music news, from new videos to band and artist updates.
- Sundance – A range of original scripted and reality TV programming such as The Honourable Woman and Hap and Leonard.
- Taylor Swift Now – Not technically a channel, but a curated video catalog for Taylor Swift fans.
- TLC – Reality programming with a focus on lifestyle, personal tales and family life.
There are thousands of top-rated movies and shows available to watch with your WatchTV subscription. Here are some of our top picks:
- Say Yes To The Dress – Kleinfeld Bridal bends over backwards to help every bride realise their wedding dream.
- Condor – A CIA analyst returns from lunch to discover that everyone in his office has been killed.
- Storage Wars – Bidders looking to get rich by purchasing repossessed storage units.
- American Dad – The life of a CIA agent and his home with his wife, two kids, an unusual goldfish and an escaped alien.
- Gold Rush – Todd and Jack risk everything by becoming gold miners in the wilds of Alaska.
Pricing, trials and subscriptions
There are several plans available for those who wish to set up a subscription with AT&T WatchTV. Here’s an overview of what you can choose from:
Base package ($15 a month)
Enjoy over 35 channels of live TV, plus 15,000 on-demand titles. Make the most of your pick of premium add-ons, detailed below. Furthermore, there is no annual contract, so you only pay month to month and can cancel at any time.
- Cinemax ($13.99 a month) – Action shows, exciting movies every week, unlimited on demand access, behind the scenes exclusives and 24/7 access to MAX GO.
- HBO ($17.99 a month) – Live premieres for original programming, new movies added weekly, unlimited on demand streaming, HBO GO access.
- Showtime ($13.99 a month) – Original series, hit movies, ringside seats for high quality boxing, unlimited access to Showtime Anytime.
- Starz ($13.99 a month) – Original series and movies, access to full seasons, over 7000 on-demand titles, new movies added every month.
There are several competitors in the streaming services industry that AT&T WatchTV can be compared to. For example, DirecTV Now arguably has more channels, plus additional features such as cloud DVR. In contrast, AT&T offers Watch TV as an add on for mobile subscribers as its primary market. That being said, the service does allow users the ability to stream on a range of devices, including Apple TV, Fire TV, phones and tablets. Philo and Sling TV offer more compatible devices, such as Roku, but AT&T WatchTV’s list is still solid, especially considering its competitive pricing for the base package.
When it comes to channel availability and packages, AT&T does not offer as many options as Philo or Sling TV, but the core package is cheaper, meaning it’s a good choice if you’re looking for a budget service. Regarding the TV user interface, users may find it similar to the one available with DirecTV Now. You can swipe left and right in the same way, and there is only a delay of between 1 and 3 seconds between each channel. The mobile interface is much cleaner than Philo’s menu, and some may find it easier to nail down a specific channel using AT&T’s guide, as opposed to using the Search text box with Philo.
Signing up for AT&T WatchTV is a no-brainer if you’re already a member of one of their mobile plans, but purchasing the standalone TV service is also good value and competitively priced. With over 35 channels, on demand titles and multiple device compatibility, plus premium addons to enhance the viewing experience, this platform offers a range of content that measures up when compared with some of the big players out there. Overall, AT&T WatchTV is well worth looking into.