ABC, also known as the American Broadcasting Company, is a US network which is owned by Walt Disney Television. It is now the fifth oldest main channel in the world, as it was launched in 1943 as a radio network. It extended its operations to television in 1948.
In the mid-1950s, ABC and United Paramount Theatres (UPT) merged. The head of UPT, Leonard Goldenson, made the new television network successful by developing numerous series. In the 1980s, ABC purchased an 80% share in ESPN, a cable sports channel. The network has also merged with Capital Cities Communications, an owner of numerous television and radio stations, plus print publications. In 1996, Disney purchased most of the ABC/Capital Cities assets.
ABC’s channel offering has impressive breadth. It is popular during the daytime for its numerous talk shows, such as Strahan and The View. The soap opera General Hospital premiered in 1963 and is now ABC’s longest-running program in its entertainment section.
Apart from talk shows and soap operas, ABC also offers sports programming occasionally, especially on weekend afternoons. All the sports broadcast on ABC are produced in association with ESPN. A notable example of sports programming includes the NFL‘s Monday Night Football.
ABC also has numerous specials. For instance, it aired the hugely popular Miss America competition until 2018. Currently, ABC also owns the broadcast rights for the Emmy Awards, Academy Awards, and the American Music Awards.
It’s safe to say that ABC appeals to a broad audience. They offer a children’s programming time slot for three hours on Saturday morning. For other demographics, ABC provides a broad mix of options. For instance, Black-ish is considered to be one of the best family comedies airing on television in recent times. That said, there is also a wide variety of family-friendly titles besides this one. For example, the sitcom Happy Days is a charming comedy that aired on ABC from 1974 to 1984. Modern Family, on a similar note, premiered in 2009 and is a mockumentary that was highly appreciated by critics.
Other viewers are charmed by the broad news and sports sections on ABC, and they are considered a trusted and independent source of local, regional, and world news. They offer in-depth analyses, weather, and more.
Overall, the ABC channel is an all-time American favorite that offers entertaining programming suitable for all ages.
How to Stream ABC Without Cable
- More than 65 channels available with its standard package – $54.99 per month
- Personalized profiles can be made for all family members
- 50 hours of storage available on Cloud DVR
- There are no hidden fees for installation appointments or equipment rentals
- The subscription can be canceled at any time without extra charges
- Includes current shows, live sports, breaking news, and more
- Live news, such as FOX News, MSNBC, CNN, and more
- Kid-friendly shows displayed on a special Kids profile, including Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, and more
- Can be customized with add-ons for unlimited screens, more Cloud DVR storage, premium networks such as HBO MAX and Cinemax
- Supports a variety of devices, including Mac & PC, Android, Apple, Roku, Chromecast, Xbox, and many others
- Has a 7-day free trial
- Supports offline viewing
- 500 hours of DVR storage
- Voice remote can be used with Google Assistant
- Straightforward self-setup
- Includes breaking news, live TV, and 40,000 on-demand titles
- Pricing plans start at $49.99 per month and come with more than 65 channels, plus a year of HBO Max
- Can receive a full refund in 14 days after returning the equipment
- Has unlimited Cloud DVR storage that is kept for up to 9 months
- Offers up to 6 sub-accounts for family members
- Ability to handle three streams at the same time
- Includes voice control that can be used to start shows, select TV channels, record a show, and more
- Does not support offline viewing
- The pricing plan is only $49.99 per month and includes more than 70 channels