This irreverent, original TV show is in its second season, and streams exclusively on Amazon Prime Video. It’s hugely popular, so much so that it has already been renewed for a third season. Season 2 also saw the introduction of an after show hosted by Aisha Tyler, titled Prime Rewind: Inside The Boys.
If you’re a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and DC Extended Universe, you’ll probably love The Boys.
The Eric Kripke developed series stars Karl Urban as Billy Butcher, and is based on the comic book series by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson.
The Boys is set in a world where superheroes exist, and are heavily commercialized. When Hughie Campbell’s girlfriend is killed by supe A-Train, he is pulled into vigilante Billy Butcher’s anti-supe resistance group known as the Boys.
The Boys set their sights on bringing down the Seven, the world’s foremost superhero team, and the corporation behind them – Vought International.
Meanwhile, the newest addition to the Seven, Starlight, sees first-hand how corrupt and unsavory the world’s heroes really are behind the scenes.
Cast and characters
- Karl Urban – Billy Butcher
- Jack Quaid – Hughie Campbell
- Simon Pegg – Hugh Cambell
- Erin Moriarty – Annie January/Starlight
- Antony Starr – Homelander
- Dominique McElligott – Queen Maeve
- Jessie T. Usher – A-Train
- Chace Crawford – The Deep/Kevin
- Nathan Mitchell – Black Noir
- Alex Hassell – Translucent
- Aya Cash – Stormfront
- Elisabeth Shue – Madelyn Stillwell
- Giancarlo Esposito – Stan Edgar
- Laz Alonso – Mother’s Milk
- Tomer Capon – Frenchie
- Karen Fukuhara – the Female/Kimiko Miyashiro
- Colby Minifie – Ashley Barrett
- Shantel VanSanten – Becca Butcher
- Laila Robins – Grace Mallory
- Jordana Lajoie – Cherie
- Nicola Correia-Damude – Elena
- Cameron Crovetti – Ryan
- Brittany Allen – Popclaw
- Jess Salgueiro – Robin
- Shaun Benson – Ezekiel
The Boys is set in New York City, but was filmed in Canada. Vought International’s Seven Tower is in fact the Roy Thomson Hall in Toronto (with digital enhancement). The store Hughie works at is also in Toronto, and A-Train and Shockwave’s race is held at Tim Hortons Field stadium in Hamilton.
When the Boys search for the Female, they’re actually looking through Central Parkway Mall in Mississauga and Lower Bay Station in Toronto.
Other filming locations include the Toronto Centre for the Arts, the Cathedral Church of St. James and The New Plaza Motel in Toronto.
Supernatural alum Eric Kripke developed The Boys, based on Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson’s comic book series of the same name. The series also boasts Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg among its executive producers.
Initially, The Boys was set to have a home on Cinemax – though this fell through due to budgetary reasons. Luckily, the series eventually made its way to Amazon Prime Video, where it now streams.
Episodes and reception
Season 1 has 8 episodes, and season 2 is set to have the same amount – albeit on a weekly schedule (after the first 3 episodes dropped at once). The Boys has an excellent overall Rotten Tomatoes score of 90%, with season 1 scoring 84% and season 2 a very impressive 97%. Critics praise the show for its dark sense of humor and bold tackling of relevant, weighty themes.
Watch this series right now.
- Choose from a monthly or annual subscription
- Benefit from all the perks which come with Amazon Prime
- Watch top Originals such as Bosch and Fleabag