The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is one of the most hotly anticipated series set to premiere on streaming service Disney Plus. With a budget of $150 million and Marvel Studios behind the title, it’s safe to say there is plenty of high quality action set to unfold. But when exactly will that happen, and what do we know about the series so far? We’ve done a little digging to find out everything you need to know…
When will season 1 of Falcon and Winter Soldier come out on Disney+?
Originally, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier was set to come out in August 2020. Unfortunately, production was delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic, as filming was suspended during this time.
Now a new release date has been revealed for the show – March 19, 2021.
Will there be another season of Falcon and Winter Soldier?
This depends on how well the first season goes and whether or not Disney+ sees the series as worth investing in for a second round. However, Marvel and Star Wars have generally done very well on the platform, so it’s looking positive right now.
Season 1 spoilers and fan theories
There is limited information available on season 1 of Falcon and Winter Soldier, but we do know the basic premise involves Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes joining forces and taking on a mission which sees them challenged.
As for the characters, we know that Zemo appears again after being seen in Captain America: Civil War, where he was behind the Avengers being disbanded. Meanwhile, Sharon Carter is a former agent of SHIELD who has been on the run since she last appeared in Civil War. The series is set to show what she has been up to during this time frame.
In a trailer revealed in December 2020, fans got a first look at the scenes which are coming up. The show is set after the events of Avengers: Endgame, and Steve Rogers has gone back in time to enjoy life with Peggy Carter. In the meantime, Sam Wilson is his replacement.
However, we are soon introduced to the possibility that Sam discovers the dark side of the legacy which comes with Captain America. Falcon gets the help of Bucky, also known as the Winter Soldier, to help with rectifying the situation – which is a dynamic fans have seen in previous Captain America films.
Falcon and Winter Soldier season 1 cast
- Anthony Mackie – Sam Wilson/Falcon
- Sebastian Stan – Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier
- Daniel Bruhl – Baron Helmut Zemo
- Emily VanCamp – Sharon Carter
- Wyatt Russell – John Walker
- Georges St-Pierre – Georges Batroc
- Adepero Oduye – TBC
- Desmond Chiam – TBC
- Miki Ishikawa – TBC
- Noah Mills – TBC
- Carl Lumbly – TBC
- Erin Kellyman – TBC
Is there a trailer for season 1?
There are a number of clips on YouTube which claim to be trailers for The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but it’s unclear whether any of these have been verified by Disney Plus as official previews.
However, there is a trailer offering a first look at the show, which came out in December 2020 following the Disney Investor Day. Here are some of the teasers which came out of the trailer.
- Falcon does not appear to be using Captain America’s shield
- The series may be adding the first black Captain America into the legacy
- There is a mysterious convoy, which suggests an attack is looming
- Many scenes appear to take place in an Asian country – which could be Madripoor
- A seemingly German police force is seen reacting to a crisis situation
- There could be a terrorist attack at some point
- New villains supposedly appear who look like a terrorist group with the Flag Smasher logo
- Sam Wilson keeps his Falcon wings in a Stark briefcase
- Falcon and Winter Soldier may team up with Zemo against Flag-Smasher
- The US Government pick John Walker as the next Captain America
- Bucky and Sam may interact with a Madripoorian crime lord called Tyger Tyger
- Falcon uses his wings to dive underneath a truck in an apparent spy mission
- Winter Soldier goes on at least one chase scene using his motorbike
- A heist takes place at some point with the Flag-Smashers at the helm
- Captain America could be involved in the heist with the Flag-Smashers
- Sam and Bucky may end up working with the US authorities at some point
- An impressive aerial combat scene takes place during the series
Season recap – what happened?
Falcon and Winter Soldier is set after the events of Avengers: Endgame, which came out in 2019. This movie sees Tony Stark in space without any food or water, and he sends a message to Pepper Potts once his oxygen supply begins to run out. The other Avengers – namely Bruce Banner, Black Widow, Thor and Captain America – are on a mission to bring back their allies after intergalactic warlord Thanos disintegrated half the universe. An epic showdown is planned, and the movie ends with Sam Wilson being handed the mantle of Captain America.
Where is Falcon and Winter Soldier filmed?
Filming for Falcon and Winter Soldier began in 2019 and took place in Atlanta, Georgia. Before filming was suspended due to COVID-19, the team had moved to the Czech Republic for more filming in early March 2020. In September 2020, filming began again in Atlanta, and it was expected that the cast and crew would return to the Czech Republic at some point in 2020.