Bosch is a web TV series which was produced by Amazon Studios and Fabrik Entertainment. It stars Titus Welliver in the main role as Los Angeles Police detective Harry Bosch. The first season is inspired by the novels City of Bones, Echo Park and The Concrete Blonde, written by Michael Connelly.
The show was one of two drama pilots that Amazon streamed in early 2014, alongside The After. Viewers provided feedback which Amazon used to decide whether a series order should be placed.
The series introduces the viewer to Hieronymus ‘Harry’ Bosch, who is a hardened LAPD homicide detective. He grew up in the LA foster care system. His story begins when he stands trial for the fatal shooting of a serial murder suspect, while a cold case concerning a missing boy leads Bosch to look back at his past.
Bosch faces challenges such as an affair with a recruit called Julia Brasher and the increasing pressures of departmental politics. However, his stance is to pursue justice no matter what.
Cast and characters
- LAPD Harry Bosch – Titus Welliver
- Detective II Jerry Edgar, Bosch’s partner – Jamie Hector
- Lieutenant II Grace Billets – Amy Aquino
- Chief of Police Irvin Irving – Lance Reddick
- Police Office I Julia Brasher – Annie Wersching
- Serial killer Raynard Waits – Jason Gedrick
- Maddie Bosch, Harry’s daughter – Madison Lintz
- Harry’s ex-wife Eleanor Wish – Sarah Clarke
- Former LAPD homicide detective Carl Nash – Brent Sexton
- Former porn star Veronica Allen – Jeri Ryan
- District attorney of Los Angeles County Richard ‘Rick’ O’Shea – Steven Culp
- Detective II Moore (Crate) – Gregory Scott Cummins
- Detective II Johnson (Barrel) – Troy Evans
- Police Officer/Detective Rondell Pierce – DaJuan Johnson
- Sergeant II John Mankiewicz – Scott Klace
- Civil rights attorney Honey ‘Money’ Chandler – Mimi Rogers
- Officer Julius Edgewood – Deji LaRay
- Officer Victor Rhodes – Jason Sims Prewitt
- Assistant to Chief of Police Irvin Irving Ida – Joni Bovill
Bosch is filmed in various locations across Los Angeles. For example, Harry Bosch’s apartment is located on Blue Heights Drive, while the police station was filmed in Red Studios, North Cahuenga Boulevard, Hollywood.
The coroner’s office is filmed in the Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner, while the Glendale Police department is filmed in Glendale, California.
The trailer for season 1 of Bosch has over 170,000 views on YouTube. It starts with a man saying ‘Every murder is the tale of a city.’ We are then shown various police investigation scenes, and Bosch asking out a young woman. His colleague says ‘I know that look’.
Then the serial killer is shown, and Bosch’s boss says afterwards ‘What went wrong?’, to which he replies ‘Everything’. Bosch is seen in court being told that he breaks the rules, and then his boss says ‘Focus, Detective. Your future is on the line.’
Amazon Studios revealed that Bosch would commence production in 2013. The pilot made was an hour long, and apparently a number of changes were made relating to Bosch’s life when the story moved onto the screen.
The first season was released on Amazon Video in 2015, and it was renewed a month later. The series was nominated for the Outstanding Main Title Design award at the 67th Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards.
Episodes and reception
All five seasons of Bosch have ten episodes each. Season one was first released in 2014 and last released in 2015. Season two came out the following year, and each season came out on consecutive years, with season five coming out in 2019.
Bosch was nominated for Best Supporting Actor on Television and Best New Media Television Series in the 2014 42nd Saturn Awards. It was nominated again for the latter title the following year, at the 43rd Saturn Awards.
Watch this show right now
It's available for streaming tonight.
- Choose from a monthly or annual subscription
- Benefit from all the perks which come with Amazon Prime
- Watch top Originals such as Bosch and Fleabag
Choose from thousands of TV shows and movies.
Get stuck in with no fixed contract now.