Goliath is a web TV series which was commissioned by Amazon Studios and falls into the legal drama category. The show received a straight to series order of eight episodes in 2015 and premiered on Amazon Prime Video in October 2016.
The show has four seasons in total, with Clyde Phillips joining the series in season two. The third season made its debut in October 2019, and Amazon announced the final series renewal a month later.
Goliath focuses on a lawyer called Billy McBride who is down on his luck. He used to be a powerful lawyer, but is now an alcoholic. His fall from grace came after he lost a case which saw an innocent child murdered. His alcoholism costs him his wife and job. He lost his career after his partner Cooper kicked him out of their law firm.
Billy decides to go up against Cooper by bringing a case against him. He begins to realise his old ambition by getting involved in the preparations, and battles for redemption by seeking justice in a legal system where truth is becoming increasingly rare.
Cast and characters
- Lawyer Billy McBride – Billy Bob Thornton
- DUI lawyer and real estate agent Patty Solis-Papagian – Nina Arianda
- Prostitute and occasional legal assistant Brittany Gold – Tania Raymonde
- Billy’s daughter Denise McBride – Diana Hopper
- McBride’s legal partner Donald Cooperman – William Hurt
- Billy’s ex-wife Michelle McBride – Maria Bello
- Legal associate Lucy Kittridge – Olivia Thirlby
- Senior lawyer Callie Senate – Molly Parker
- City councilwoman Marisol Silva – Ana de la Reguera
- Political operator Danny Loomis – Matthew Del Negro
- Deputy District Attorney Hakeem Rashad – Morris Chesnut
- Successful Los Angeles developer Tom Wyatt – Mark Duplass
- Legal assistant Marva Jefferson – Julie Brister
- Corporate counsel Leonard Letts – Damon Gupton
- CEO of Borns Tech Wendell Corey – Dwight Yoakam
- Judge Roston Keller – Harold Perrineau
- Ryan’s sister Rachel Kennedy – Ever Carradine
- Former Borns Tech employee Ned Berring – Kevin Weisman
- FBI agent Farley – Jason Ritter
- Owner of Chez Jay Oscar Suarez – Lou Diamond Phillips
- Son of Oscar Suarez, Julio – Diego Josef
- Detective Keith Roman – Dominic Fumusa
- Billy’s former colleague JT – Paul Williams
- FBI Special Agent Jeff Clayton – James Wolk
- Judge Martha Wallace – Alexandra Billings
- Drug lord Gabriel Ortega – Manuel Garcia-Rulfo
- Real estate agent Pete ‘The Broker’ Oakland – David Cross
- Mary Roman – Annika Marks
- DJ Diego Spiz – JC Gonzalez
- Sumi Sen – Shelby Rabara
- Wade Blackwood – Dennis Quaid
- Diana Blackwood – Amy Brenneman
- Roy Wheeler – Beau Bridges
The Ocean Lodge Hotel in Santa Monica Pier is a model for the replicas Amazon Studios built across three different soundstages for Goliath. The series is filmed both at the original Ocean Lodge and on soundstages across Los Angeles and in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Another location in Santa Monica, California, is the Chez Jay bar. Filming for the third season sometimes took place in Santa Clarita. Evan Thomason, economic development associate with the Santa Clarita Film Office, confirmed that the series had filmed there for a previous season also.
The Goliath season one trailer on YouTube has been viewed over 600,000 times. The clip opens with Will saying ‘Ever since I took this case, weird stuff’s been happening to me.’ There is then footage of Will out and about while a hidden camera takes photos of him. We then see him drinking alone in a bar, while a woman asks ‘What happened?’ She is told ‘Michelle left. He drank too much.’
McBride’s legal partner is seen saying ‘I created this company’, and a woman is heard saying ‘He would love nothing more than to destroy you.’ Text on the screen reads ‘Every giant has its weakness.’ McBride goes on to say ‘I’m actually doing this. So get ready for it, will ya?’
Amazon announced the pilot order for the series in 2015, where it was called Trial. The storyline was based on a script from David E Kelly and Jonathan Shapiro. Later, Amazon skipped the pilot order process and instead went straight to series with a first season order of ten episodes. This was then whittled down to eight episodes by its debut in 2016.
Episodes and reception
- Episode One – Of Mice and Men
- Episode Two – Pride and Prejudice
- Episode Three – Game On
- Episode Four – It’s Donald
- Episode Five – Cover Your Ass
- Episode Six – Line of Fire
- Episode Seven – Beauty and the Beast
- Episode Eight – Citizens United
- Episode One – La Mano
- Episode Two – Politics
- Episode Three – Fresh Flowers
- Episode Four – Alo
- Episode Five – Who’s Gabriel
- Episode Six – Two Cinderellas
- Episode Seven – Diablo Verde
- Episode Eight – Tongue Tied
- Episode One – The Subsidence Adventure
- Episode Two – Happiness From The Ground Up
- Episode Three – Good Morning, Central Valley
- Episode Four – Full Circle
- Episode Five – Argus 2: Battledome
- Episode Six – Fer-De-Lance
- Episode Seven – Conscious Uncoupling
- Episode Eight – Joy Division
At the time of writing, Goliath has a rating of 8.2/10 on IMDb. Rotten Tomatoes rates it at 82%, while Amazon.co.uk gives it 4.7/5. Meanwhile, 92% of Google users have reported that they liked this TV show.
Let us do the hard work
We compare the best streaming services for you so you can watch your shows at the best possible rate.
A Month for 12 Months
- $12.99 a month
- $119 per year
Although Prime Video hasn’t been around for as long as Netflix, this doesn’t mean you should expect a less extensive service. Like its main rival, Amazon has placed a large focus on investing in high quality content, as well as its own original productions. Key examples of popular titles include Transparent, Mr Robot, The Tick, The Man in the High Castle and The Grand Tour. If you want the security of knowing a series won’t be subject to rotation due to licensing, you can be sure that all Amazon Originals – like Netflix Originals – are there to stay. Outside of original content, you can expect to stream classics such as The Walking Dead, Desperate Housewives and Grey’s Anatomy, plus exclusives like Lucifer, Vikings and Preacher. (These titles may come and go, but plenty of other exciting ones are sure to replace them!)
Pros and cons
- Downloading content for offline viewing. Not all streaming services provide this feature, and so those who want the option of watching their favourite TV shows and movies on the go can use Prime Video to download these titles before leaving the house.
- Convenient all-in-one package. Amazon Prime Video is unique in that it offers customers several other perks besides video. Fast shipping, music, groceries and other such services make for a highly effective lifestyle bundle that’s hard to turn down.
- Free trial. You can decide if this service is for you by partaking in a free trial for a full month. Cancelling it before this period is over means you won’t be charged for Prime Video.
- Library isn’t as extensive. Of course, the downside with focusing on other areas such as groceries and music – as well as the fact that Amazon wasn’t originally a streaming service; it just branched out to be one – means that you won’t get as many titles as you’d expect from big names such as Disney Plus.
- Few titles receive critical acclaim. While services such as Netflix and Disney Plus will be used to putting out content that is widely talked about and shared by consumers, Amazon Prime Video doesn’t have as much luck in this department.
- Hefty price tag. Some are put off by the yearly fee for Amazon Prime if they want to pay upfront. At $119 a year for US customers, it’s a sum that isn’t parted with lightly, and some may question if it’s worth it if they can get more titles for a lower price with another streaming service.
Types of content available
There is a wide range of content available to stream with Amazon Prime Video. Available genres include action/adventure, animated, children, comedy, documentary, family, drama, sci-fi/fantasy, teen, sport and thriller. You can watch Prime originals and exclusives such as Lucifer, The Purge or Homecoming. Titles are also arranged according to what you’ve previously watched, recommending related titles you may enjoy. You can view movies that other customers enjoy, so if people are watching Legally Blonde, 22 Jump Street or The Great Gatsby, these will be available to click onto from the Prime Video homepage. Certain movies are also available to rent, so if you want the latest titles on your compatible device, they are available for just a few dollars each. Some titles are only available for a limited time on Prime, so catch them before their expiry date. Recent movie releases can be bought as well, meaning you won’t miss out if you didn’t manage to see them on the big screen. Other categories on the Prime Video homepage include Highest Rated Movies, Rent or Buy bundles, and Prime Video channels such as Hayu.
Top Amazon Prime Video TV shows and movies
Murder on the Orient Express
This movie features an all-star cast, including the likes of Sean Connery, Ingrid Bergman, Vanessa Redgrave and Anthony Perkins. Albert Finney is the star, and he plays Agatha Christie’s Hercule Poirot. He is called upon to work out which passenger on the train killed a man. The twist is that everyone had a motive for the crime.
This film depicts a young, gay African-American man’s coming of age in Miami. The storyline is an adaptation of a play by Tarell Alvin McCraney and it was directed by Barry Jenkins. Viewers can enjoy a rich set of characters they can get stuck into and intense dialogue.
Jonah Hill directed this movie, making his debut in this type of role. The plot follows a 13 year old named Stevie who spends a summer in LA, torn between a troubled home life and a group of friends who push him to try out new things beyond his limits. It explores coming of age and the skater culture which was prominent in LA at the time.
Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf star in this movie, which examines the relationship between mother and daughter. Ronan is the Ladybird, a woman attending Catholic school who craves the culture promised by a move to New York. Meanwhile, her mother is overbearing and overprotective.
Death at a Funeral
This is a dark British comedy featuring a ton of dry wit and a star cast. The plot involves a man who has to arrange his father’s funeral without any help from his successful brother. When the day comes, the father’s ex-lover blackmails the family with salacious photos and Daniel’s cousin doses her new boyfriend with LSD, thinking it’s Valium.
This show has several seasons to its name and over 80 episodes. Viewers watch the life of Tony Soprano, played by James Gandolfini, as he goes through life. The only difference is that his workplace is running a criminal organisation, and there’s an Italian family who are just a bit complicated featuring in his life. Many people regard The Sopranos as essential viewing.
Despite having a handful of seasons, this show has created an impressive name for itself. Commonly regarded as one of TV’s best Western series of all time, get stuck into a world where people speak a unique language which incorporates Shakespeare and various profanities. Many characters are based on real historical figures, and you can expect danger, corruption and a whole lot of family drama.
Curb Your Enthusiasm
HBO fans will know all about this show, as it’s been running for quite a while now. The premise focuses on the details of everyday life, with a hefty dose of cynicism thrown in for good measure. The main character is a fictionalized version of Larry David, and it’s received dozens of Emmy nominations.
During the first half of the 2010s, all anyone could talk about was this British series. It focuses on an aristocratic family and their mansion full of servants as they go through major historical events such as the First World War and the sinking of the Titanic. Viewers can expect to see plenty of gossip and scandal from the servants’ quarters.
With a respectable number of seasons under its belt, Luther is a good pick for those who enjoy cop dramas. With an intense storyline and household names such as Idris Elba and Ruth Wilson, fans can watch the story of a genius detective who has trouble keeping his professional and personal lives separate.
Fleabag is the name given to a woman who experiences life and love in London while also trying to deal with a tragic experience. She rejects anyone who attempts to help her as she tries to recover.
An FBI profiler is recruited to investigate a serial killer. This profiler is supervised by a forensic psychiatrist, who is secretly a cannibalistic serial killer and working to manipulate the FBI from the inside.
A disgraced lawyer called Billy McBride takes on a wrongful death lawsuit in order to try and get revenge on the firm he had a part in creating.
Two married Russian spies with kids pose as Americans while living in Washington DC so they can spy on the US government.
A Los Angeles homicide detective called Harry Bosch looks into the murder of a 13 year old boy while he is also undergoing trial for murder charges.
Six Feet Under
Nathaniel Fisher Senior hands over his funeral home business to his two sons before he passes away. However, this leads to the brothers and the rest of the family fighting about the decision.
Deputy US Marshal Raylan Givens has an unconventional outlook on justice enforcement. He is reassigned to Lexington, Kentucky – an area he grew up in and thought he had escaped for good.
This rockumentary family sitcom explores three different types of family living in LA, who are all interrelated.
A group of people who get to know each other online stumble across a manuscript which predicts the disasters which took place over the previous years. They then find themselves being tracked down by an organisation known as The Network.