People who watch Fox will most likely know all about Grandfathered. One of the top factors which appeal about this show is the presence of John Stamos. That said, other cast members include big names like Josh Peck and Christina Milian.
There is one season of this show, which aired between September 2015 and May 2016.
The premise for this show is pretty simple. It focuses on a restaurant owner who lives the life of a bachelor. However, his life is turned upside down when he finds out he has not just a son, but a granddaughter.
James Martin is the main character – a 50 year old bachelor who is obsessed with his work and clueless at being a parent.
Meanwhile, Sara is his ex girlfriend, who had a son called Gerald. In turn, Gerald and Vanessa had a baby daughter together.
Cast and characters
- John Stamos – James ‘Jimmy’ Martino
- Paget Brewster – Sara Kingsley
- Josh Peck – Gerald E Kingsley
- Christina Milian – Vanessa
- Ravi Patel – Ravi Gupta
- Kelly Jenrette – Annelise Wilkinson
- Layla and Emelia Golfieri – Edie
- Abby Walker – Cindy
- AJ Rivera – Victor
- Andrew Daly – Bruce
- Regina Hall – Catherine Sanders
- Michael Trucco – Craig
Most of Grandfathered is filmed in California. For example, Sara’s house is reported to be located in South Pasadena. Furthermore, Echo Park Lake is used for park scenes, and this spot is located in Los Angeles. Studio City is used for many shots, too.
Fox first began airing Grandfathered in 2015. However, the network cancelled the show after one season due to the fact it was only receiving average ratings. That said, it has been reported that the cancellation was a surprise for both cast members and fans of this title. At the time, Josh Peck said on Twitter: ‘Thank you for watching and supporting Grandfathered I’m sorry it’s over but I feel lucky to have been a part of it!’
The finale of Grandfathered has a slight cliff-hanger, which meant that fans were hoping it would be returning for another round at some point. However, there have not been any updates in this regard at the time of writing.
Episodes and reception
There are 22 episodes of Grandfathered to watch. The titles and summaries for them are as follows:
- Pilot – Jimmy discovers he has a son and granddaughter.
- Dad Face – Jimmy has to spend time with his family instead of attending a hot social event.
- Guys’ Night – Jimmy and Gerald go on a night out, but it quickly goes wrong.
- Deadbeat – Jimmy plans a birthday party for his granddaughter, but family drama ensues.
- Edie’s Two Dads – Jimmy must go to an exclusive preschool for an interview when Gerald and Vanessa are waylaid.
- My Amal – Jimmy begins dating a woman who is almost his son’s age.
- Sexy Guardian Angel – Jimmy takes Gerald to a bar to help him move on from Vanessa.
- Gerald’s Two Dads – Jimmy is forced to spend more time at Sara and Gerald’s Thanksgiving event than he planned.
- Jimmy & Son – Jimmy decides to hire Gerald as the greeter at his restaurant.
- Perfect Physical Specimen – Edie has ear tube surgery coming up, and Jimmy makes a confession.
- The Sat Pack – Jimmy joins his old group of friends who would go out on Saturday nights to party.
- Baby Model – A talent scout approaches Jimmy as he walks with Edie and suggests his granddaughter try out for a commercial.
- Tableside Guacamole – When restaurant patrons go down due to Jimmy’s new commitments, plans are made to reboot the business.
- Budget Spa – Jimmy tries to go against Sara’s assessment that he is addicted to female validation by going on a guys’ trip.
- The Biter – Sara and Jimmy are summoned to the preschool, where they find out a child bit Edie.
- Gerald Fierce – Gerald finds new confidence after selling his first app.
- The Boyfriend Experience – Sara lets Jimmy take her to an engagement party for an old friend.
- Catherine Sanders – Jimmy meets a powerful female CEO at a book signing but struggles with her dominant nature when they begin dating.
- Some Guy I’m Seeing – Jimmy suggests that he and Catherine become exclusive but Catherine refers to him as ‘some guy I’m seeing’.
- Jimmy’s 50th, Again – Jimmy tells Catherine his 51st birthday is actually his 50th.
- The Memorial – Jimmy focuses heavily on work to deal with a personal loss.
- The Cure – Gerald does his best to plan the perfect marriage proposal.
Watch this series right now
It's available for streaming tonight.
- Choose from a monthly or annual subscription
- Benefit from all the perks which come with Amazon Prime
- Watch top Originals such as Bosch and Fleabag
Although Prime Video hasn’t been around for as long as Netflix, this doesn’t mean you should expect a less extensive service. Like its main rival, Amazon has placed a large focus on investing in high quality content, as well as its own original productions. Key examples of popular titles include Transparent, Mr Robot, The Tick, The Man in the High Castle and The Grand Tour. If you want the security of knowing a series won’t be subject to rotation due to licensing, you can be sure that all Amazon Originals – like Netflix Originals – are there to stay. Outside of original content, you can expect to stream classics such as The Walking Dead, Desperate Housewives and Grey’s Anatomy, plus exclusives like Lucifer, Vikings and Preacher. (These titles may come and go, but plenty of other exciting ones are sure to replace them!)
Pros and cons
- Downloading content for offline viewing. Not all streaming services provide this feature, and so those who want the option of watching their favourite TV shows and movies on the go can use Prime Video to download these titles before leaving the house.
- Convenient all-in-one package. Amazon Prime Video is unique in that it offers customers several other perks besides video. Fast shipping, music, groceries and other such services make for a highly effective lifestyle bundle that’s hard to turn down.
- Free trial. You can decide if this service is for you by partaking in a free trial for a full month. Cancelling it before this period is over means you won’t be charged for Prime Video.
- Library isn’t as extensive. Of course, the downside with focusing on other areas such as groceries and music – as well as the fact that Amazon wasn’t originally a streaming service; it just branched out to be one – means that you won’t get as many titles as you’d expect from big names such as Disney Plus.
- Few titles receive critical acclaim. While services such as Netflix and Disney Plus will be used to putting out content that is widely talked about and shared by consumers, Amazon Prime Video doesn’t have as much luck in this department.
- Hefty price tag. Some are put off by the yearly fee for Amazon Prime if they want to pay upfront. At $119 a year for US customers, it’s a sum that isn’t parted with lightly, and some may question if it’s worth it if they can get more titles for a lower price with another streaming service.
Types of content available
There is a wide range of content available to stream with Amazon Prime Video. Available genres include action/adventure, animated, children, comedy, documentary, family, drama, sci-fi/fantasy, teen, sport and thriller. You can watch Prime originals and exclusives such as Lucifer, The Purge or Homecoming. Titles are also arranged according to what you’ve previously watched, recommending related titles you may enjoy. You can view movies that other customers enjoy, so if people are watching Legally Blonde, 22 Jump Street or The Great Gatsby, these will be available to click onto from the Prime Video homepage. Certain movies are also available to rent, so if you want the latest titles on your compatible device, they are available for just a few dollars each. Some titles are only available for a limited time on Prime, so catch them before their expiry date. Recent movie releases can be bought as well, meaning you won’t miss out if you didn’t manage to see them on the big screen. Other categories on the Prime Video homepage include Highest Rated Movies, Rent or Buy bundles, and Prime Video channels such as Hayu.
Top Amazon Prime Video TV shows and movies
Murder on the Orient Express
This movie features an all-star cast, including the likes of Sean Connery, Ingrid Bergman, Vanessa Redgrave and Anthony Perkins. Albert Finney is the star, and he plays Agatha Christie’s Hercule Poirot. He is called upon to work out which passenger on the train killed a man. The twist is that everyone had a motive for the crime.
This film depicts a young, gay African-American man’s coming of age in Miami. The storyline is an adaptation of a play by Tarell Alvin McCraney and it was directed by Barry Jenkins. Viewers can enjoy a rich set of characters they can get stuck into and intense dialogue.
Jonah Hill directed this movie, making his debut in this type of role. The plot follows a 13 year old named Stevie who spends a summer in LA, torn between a troubled home life and a group of friends who push him to try out new things beyond his limits. It explores coming of age and the skater culture which was prominent in LA at the time.
Saoirse Ronan and Laurie Metcalf star in this movie, which examines the relationship between mother and daughter. Ronan is the Ladybird, a woman attending Catholic school who craves the culture promised by a move to New York. Meanwhile, her mother is overbearing and overprotective.
Death at a Funeral
This is a dark British comedy featuring a ton of dry wit and a star cast. The plot involves a man who has to arrange his father’s funeral without any help from his successful brother. When the day comes, the father’s ex-lover blackmails the family with salacious photos and Daniel’s cousin doses her new boyfriend with LSD, thinking it’s Valium.
This show has several seasons to its name and over 80 episodes. Viewers watch the life of Tony Soprano, played by James Gandolfini, as he goes through life. The only difference is that his workplace is running a criminal organisation, and there’s an Italian family who are just a bit complicated featuring in his life. Many people regard The Sopranos as essential viewing.
Despite having a handful of seasons, this show has created an impressive name for itself. Commonly regarded as one of TV’s best Western series of all time, get stuck into a world where people speak a unique language which incorporates Shakespeare and various profanities. Many characters are based on real historical figures, and you can expect danger, corruption and a whole lot of family drama.
Curb Your Enthusiasm
HBO fans will know all about this show, as it’s been running for quite a while now. The premise focuses on the details of everyday life, with a hefty dose of cynicism thrown in for good measure. The main character is a fictionalized version of Larry David, and it’s received dozens of Emmy nominations.
During the first half of the 2010s, all anyone could talk about was this British series. It focuses on an aristocratic family and their mansion full of servants as they go through major historical events such as the First World War and the sinking of the Titanic. Viewers can expect to see plenty of gossip and scandal from the servants’ quarters.
With a respectable number of seasons under its belt, Luther is a good pick for those who enjoy cop dramas. With an intense storyline and household names such as Idris Elba and Ruth Wilson, fans can watch the story of a genius detective who has trouble keeping his professional and personal lives separate.
Fleabag is the name given to a woman who experiences life and love in London while also trying to deal with a tragic experience. She rejects anyone who attempts to help her as she tries to recover.
An FBI profiler is recruited to investigate a serial killer. This profiler is supervised by a forensic psychiatrist, who is secretly a cannibalistic serial killer and working to manipulate the FBI from the inside.
A disgraced lawyer called Billy McBride takes on a wrongful death lawsuit in order to try and get revenge on the firm he had a part in creating.
Two married Russian spies with kids pose as Americans while living in Washington DC so they can spy on the US government.
A Los Angeles homicide detective called Harry Bosch looks into the murder of a 13 year old boy while he is also undergoing trial for murder charges.
Six Feet Under
Nathaniel Fisher Senior hands over his funeral home business to his two sons before he passes away. However, this leads to the brothers and the rest of the family fighting about the decision.
Deputy US Marshal Raylan Givens has an unconventional outlook on justice enforcement. He is reassigned to Lexington, Kentucky – an area he grew up in and thought he had escaped for good.
This rockumentary family sitcom explores three different types of family living in LA, who are all interrelated.
A group of people who get to know each other online stumble across a manuscript which predicts the disasters which took place over the previous years. They then find themselves being tracked down by an organisation known as The Network.
Choose from thousands of TV shows and movies.
Get stuck in with no fixed contract now.