It’s safe to say that Homeland is one of the most well-known TV series around. The series combines the spy and thriller genres and is based on Prisoners of War – a show originating in Israel. Showtime is the original cable network which aired the show, and it has eight seasons at the time of writing. For similar shows, viewes have checked out Better Call Saul and Gotham.
The key plot is that a CIA officer called Carrie Mathison believes a US Marine Corps Scout Sniper called Nicholas Brody has been ‘turned’ by the al-Qaeda after being held as a prisoner of war.
Impressively, this show has won the 2011 and 2012 Golden Globe Awards for Best Television Series – Drama for its initial two instalments of episodes. It also won the 2012 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Drama Series with its first season.
There is a juicy new plotline to get stuck into with each new season of Homeland. For example, season one sees Mathison carry out an unauthorised operation in Iraq, which results in her being reassigned to the CIA’s Counterterrorism Center in Langley, Virginia. Meanwhile, Brody is rescued after being reported as missing in action since 2013. He is seen as a war hero, but Carrie believes he is planning to take on America in a terrorist attack.
In season two, Carrie takes on an intelligence gathering mission in Beirut, and Brody becomes a stronger candidate for running mate alongside Vice President Walden. He is still under the command of terrorist Abu Nazir.
Cast and characters
- Claire Danes – Carrie Mathison
- Damian Lewis – Nicholas Brody
- Mandy Patinkin – Saul Berenson
- Morena Baccarin – Jessica Brody
- David Harewood – David Estes
- Diego Klattenhoff – Mike Faber
- Jackson Pace – Chris Brody
- Morgan Saylor – Dana Brody
- Jamey Sheridan – William Walden
- David Marciano – Virgil Piotrowski
- Navid Negahban – Abu Nazir
- Rupert Friend – Peter Quinn
- Sarita Choudhury – Mira Berenson
- Tracy Letts – Senator Andrew Lockhart
- F Murray Abraham – Dar Adal
- Nazanin Boniadi – Fara Sherazi
- Laila Robins – Martha Boyd
- Sebastian Koch – Otto During
- Miranda Otto – Alison Carr
- Alexander Fehling – Jonas Hollander
- Sarah Sokolovic – Laura Sutton
- Elizabeth Marvel – Elizabeth Keane
- Maury Sterling – Max Piotrowski
- Linus Roache – David Wellington
- Jake Weber – Brett O’Keefe
- Morgan Spector – Dante Allen
- Costa Ronin – Lieutenant Colonel Yevgeny Gromov
- Nimrat Kaur – Tasneem Qureishi
- Numan Acar – Haissam Haqqani
The primary filming location for Homeland is Charlotte, North Carolina. The series is set in both Virginia and Washington DC, so Charlotte is a location which resembles these settings. According to production, choosing Charlotte to shoot means it is easier to navigate the smaller city atmosphere compared to larger ones, where filming usually takes place. Mooresville is a nearby location, where some filming also takes place.
For season two, there were two weeks of filming in Israel, and some Israeli cities served as the setting of Beirut. Puerto Rico was a location for season three filming, the fourth season had some in Cape Town, the fifth one included Berlin and the sixth one features New York City and Morocco. The seventh season uses Budapest, and the eighth one began shooting in Morocco.
Episodes and reception
There are eight seasons of Homeland at the time of writing, and each one has 12 episodes. The first airing of this show was in October 2011, and every year (except 2016) there has been an airing of this show since then. There has been high critical acclaim for the series, and notably Rotten Tomatoes gave the first season a rating of 100 – with Metacritic not far behind with a rating of 92.
Watch this series right now
- Save money by combining Hulu with Disney and ESPN
- Choose from thousands of movies and TV shows
- Stream on a broad range of compatible devices