There are a number of popular storylines which take place in the Arrowverse, and one of them is the TV series Supergirl. This American title is based on the DC Comics character of the same name, with Melissa Benoist playing the main character. There have been five seasons at the time of writing, with a sixth set to premiere on The CW in 2021.
The backstory of Supergirl involves Kara Zor-El being sent to Earth from the planet Krypton aged 13 so she can protect her baby cousin, Kal-El. However, her spacecraft was sent into the Phantom Zone and did not leave for 24 years. When Kara finally crash-landed on Earth, her cousin had grown up and become Superman, while Kara is now 24 years old and learning to embrace her identity as Supergirl.
There is a different plot line seen in each season. For example, season one sees Kara becoming the protector of National City. She also discovers that hundreds of criminals her mother had a part in sending to prison are using Earth as a hiding place. She works with her sister to take on the criminals. Season two moves into Kara and her friends taking on feuds between those who are native to Earth and the extraterrestrial population.
Cast and characters
- Melissa Benoist – Kara Danvers/Kara Zor-El/Supergirl
- Malina Weissman and Izabela Vidovic – Young Kara
- Mehcad Brooks – James Olsen/Guardian
- Chyler Leigh – Alex Danvers
- Jeremy Jordan – Winslow Schott Jr/Toyman
- David Harewood – J’onn J’onzz/Martian Manhunter
- Calista Flockhart – Cat Grant
- Chris Wood – Mon-El
- Floriana Lima – Maggie Sawyer
- Katie McGrath – Lena Luthor
- Odette Annable – Samantha Arias/Reign
- Jesse Rath – Querl Dox/Brainiac 5
- Sam Witwer – Benjamin Lockwood/Agent Liberty
- Nicole Maines – Nia Nal/Dreamer
- April Parker Jones – Colonel Lauren Haley
- Azie Tesfai – Kelly Olsen
- Andrea Brooks – Eve Teschmacher
- Julie Gonzalo – Andrea Rojas/Acrata
- Staz Nair – William Dey
- LaMonica Garrett – Mar Novu/Monitor
One of the main filming locations for Supergirl was the Warner Bros lot where filming for Lois and Clark had taken place. It was estimated that every episode cost roughly $3 million to broadcast. Other filming locations include Vancouver and Los Angeles. The second season took place in Canada in an effort to reduce the production costs.
In 2014, it was known that Warner Bros Television wanted to create a TV series which had Supergirl as the main focus. Greg Berlanti was pegged as one of the executive producers, as he was also a creator and producer for Arrow and The Flash. While title ideas had included Super and Girl, Supergirl was eventually settled upon. A year later, it was reported that Melissa Benoist had landed the starring role. The actor later opened up about the process, revealing that it had taken three months to be awarded the main character.
Episodes and reception
Each of the first five seasons of Supergirl has around 20 episodes. The first three seasons aired on Mondays at 8pm on CBS, while seasons four and five aired on Sundays at 8pm or 9pm on The CW. Notably, this show has been nominated for or won a series of awards from the People’s Choice Awards, Teen Choice Awards, Saturn Awards, GLAAD Awards and more. Wins include Melissa Benoist winning for Breakthrough Performance at the Saturn Awards in 2016 and Supergirl winning Best Superhero Television series at the Saturn Awards in 2019. In total, there are over 100 episodes at the time of writing, with each one running for around 45 minutes.
Watch this series right now
- Enjoy HD and UHD resolutions
- Download titles to watch offline
- Choose from three price plans