The Not Too Late Show with Elmo is a spin-off of popular children’s show Sesame Street, which is being exclusively developed for HBO Max. The series pilot is directed by Benjamin Lehmann and features special guest Kacey Musgraves performing the song Rubber Duckie.
HBO Max has exclusive rights to Sesame Street and has signed a deal to produce five more seasons, each of which reportedly comprises 35 episodes.
Sesame Street puppet Elmo interviews a number of A-list celebrity guests on his own show. Viewers don’t need to worry about staying up to watch the show, as it won’t be on too late.
Other Sesame Street themed shows set to come to HBO Max include an animated version of The Monster at the End of this Book and a new season of Esme & Roy. There will also be two further animated shows and a docuseries which tackles difficult topics from a children’s perspective.
Cast and characters
Elmo is the central character in this show. He is well known as a furry red monster who has been on Sesame Street for multiple decades. He was first seen in 1980, in Season 11 of Sesame Street.
Originally known as Short Red, Elmo describes himself as three and a half years old with a birthday on February 3. He refers to himself in the third person. Kevin Clash first provided Elmo with a character, saying that Elmo should be kind and loving.
Let us do the hard work
We compare the best streaming services for you so you can watch your shows at the best possible rate.
- Watch HBO shows and movies, plus exclusive originals and further licensed content
- Order pre-launch (May 27, 2020) for $3 off per month for the first year
HBO Max is built around HBO programming, with all of the titles people have enjoyed watching over the years being put in one central hub. There are also several notable acquisitions – for example, Friends was taken off Netflix in January 2020 in preparation for its move to the streamer. There is content from WarnerMedia companies such as DC Entertainment, New Line Cinema, Castle Rock Entertainment, The CW, CNN, TruTV, TBS, TNT, Crunchyroll, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang, Hanna-Barbera, Turner Classic Movies and Turner Entertainment.
Pros and Cons
- A strong library of HBO content, with classics that people associate with the brand.
- Unique user interface with picks from influencers and talent.
- Investments in popular titles such as South Park and the Studio Ghibli films.
- Higher price point than other streaming services on the market.
- Parent company is a telecoms business, so is inexperienced in video streaming.
- A later launch date than Apple TV+ and Disney+ – will people still be considering new services?
Types of content available
In July 2019, it was reported that HBO Max would feature 10,000 hours of content upon launch. This library features exclusives such as the complete run of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, The Big Bang Theory and South Park. All 21 of Studio Ghibli’s animated films are also part of the library, with notable titles including Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro.
Original content includes DC Comics shows from Greg Berlanti called Green Lantern and Strange Adventures, a Riverdale spinoff called Katy Keene, an adaptation of The Last of the Mohicans, Grease: Rydell High, a comedy called Made for Love and a limited series called Station Eleven.
All 11 seasons of the modern Doctor Who have been picked up by HBO Max, and there are further seasons being planned. When they have made their debut on BBC America, they will move to the streaming service.
The DC Extended Universe superhero movies are also available, as are the Godzilla and King Kong films. The Lord of the Rings franchise is a part of the library, too. However, Harry Potter’s Wizarding World won’t be available until 2025 due to an exclusive streaming rights deal purchased by NBCUniversal.
J.J. Abrams signed a $250 million production deal to produce new content for HBO Max, and a number of original series can be expected on the platform. Other originals with big names behind them include at least two original movies from Reese Witherspoon’s production company Hello Sunshine.
Further recognisable names include The Big Bang Theory’s Kaley Cuoco producing and starring in The Flight Attendant, Baby Driver star Ansel Elgort appearing in Tokyo Vice, Anna Kendrick’s work on romantic comedy Love Life and a film from comedian Rose Matafeo called Starstruck.
Existing content being picked up includes a Gossip Girl reboot, an animated Gremlins prequel and a Dune spinoff called Dune: The Sisterhood.
Top HBO Max TV shows and movies
- Made for Love – A woman married to a tech CEO tries to escape him. However, he becomes obsessed with finding her and forcing her to connect with him using brain chips.
- Dune: The Sisterhood – A series comprising ten episodes which is based on the Dune sci-fi novels. The Bene Gesserit women are focused on.
- The Flight Attendant – The titular character wakes up next to a dead body in a hotel room in Dubai. Kaley Cuoco from The Big Bang Theory stars and produces.
- Gossip Girl – The classic series is back in a reboot, centering on rich teenagers who go to private schools in New York City.
- Tokyo Vice – Centers on the Tokyo Metropolitan police and stars Baby Driver actor Ansel Elgort.
- The Boondocks – The animated series makes a comeback in a revival on HBO Max. The original is also available in the library.
- Legendary – A competition series which focuses on people who participate in voguing battles.
- Love Life – Starring Anna Kendrick, this is a romantic comedy series spanning half an hour.
- Raised by Wolves – Ridley Scott is the director for this science fiction series.
- Karma – A competition show for kids who solve puzzles and challenges while off the grid.
- Americanah – A limited series, starring Lupita Nyong’o. It focuses on a young Nigerian woman who moves to the US.
- Circe – A limited series based on the novel. The central focus is the Greek mythological god Circe.
- Looney Tunes – There are 80 new shorts, each lasting 11 minutes. Classic characters such as Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck make a return.
- Adventure Time – The TV series is back with four specials, each of which is an hour in duration.
- Gremlins – The Animated Series – The creatures from the two movies make a comeback in an animated series on the streamer.
- Station Eleven – A dystopian series which focuses on how the world goes on after most of its population is killed in a pandemic.
- The Greatest Space – A competition series featuring contests between interior designers.
- Grease – Rydell High – Based on the classic 1950s Broadway and movie musical, this musical TV show brings back original characters and introduces new ones.
- Craftopedia – A competition where kids complete crafting challenges.
Content on HBO Max is available for offline viewing, which means you will be able to keep up to date with your favorite shows while on the go. Furthermore, there are measures such as a PIN system in place for parental control. This way, you can be sure that kids won’t log into the streamer without your knowledge and watch content which is inappropriate for them.
HBO Max is similar to Disney Plus in that it has content hubs based on brands – much like Disney has hubs for Star Wars, Marvel and so on. Another measure is ‘co-viewing’ homepages, with suggestions that represent the viewing tastes of multiple people in a household. This makes viewing easier for couples or families, as a profile won’t just contain recommendations for one person.
While Netflix provides recommendations based on their famous algorithm, HBO Max focuses on featuring pics from ‘talent’ and ‘influencers’. There are short videos alongside the content they choose. This is similar to the way some physical book shops recommend particular books, with a note on why they have been chosen. Some of the talent featured on HBO Max includes Bill Hader and Regina King.
Treat yourself to the best in streaming.
Subscribe now with no fixed contract.