The X-Files falls into the science fiction drama category and is a household name for many. There was an original series which aired between 1993 and 2002 on Fox over nine seasons, but a tenth season arrived in 2016. As the season was so successful, Fox decided to take on an eleventh instalment, and this took place in 2018. There are a whopping 218 episodes for those new to The X-Files to get through, but that isn’t all – two feature films came out; one in 1998 and one in 2008.
The main focus of this series is two special agents from the FBI who investigate unsolved cases featuring paranormal presences that are known as The X-Files. While one of them, Fox Mulder, believes in aliens, Dana Scully is both a medical doctor and someone who holds the opposing viewpoint.
Cast and characters
- David Duchovny – Fox Mulder
- Gillian Anderson – Dana Scully
- Robert Patrick – John Doggett
- Annabeth Gish – Monica Reyes
- Mitch Pileggi – Walter Skinner
- William B Davis – Cigarette Smoking Man
- Nicholas Lea – Alex Krycek
- Chris Owens – Jeffrey Spender
- James Pickens Jr – Alvin Kersh
Episodes and reception
The first nine seasons of The X-Files have between 20 and 25 episodes. Airing throughout the 1990s and into the early 2000s, this show had remarkable popularity. It appeared to peak during seasons four and five, when there were just under 20 and 19 million viewers respectively. The viewership for season 10 was 7.6 million, and season 11 only had 3.43 million.
Watch this series right now
- Save money by combining Hulu with Disney and ESPN
- Choose from thousands of movies and TV shows
- Stream on a broad range of compatible devices