Pros and Cons
- Provides music inspiration. Users can adjust their preferences and discover new tracks while they exercise.
- Expert trainers. These people are on hand to guide users through their workouts.
- New workouts added regularly. There is never a risk of needing to repeat a workout as fresh ones are always being uploaded.
- Trouble with cancelling a trial. Some users have complained that they have been unable to easily find the option to cancel the trial.
- Lack of maternity workouts. Pregnant women have been concerned about whether workouts are safe for expectant mothers.
- Unable to find content. Some have been unhappy that workouts have apparently been removed from the app after some time.
Types of content available
There are all kinds of workout available with the Aaptiv system, which can be used regardless of whether someone has a full range of gym equipment available or none at all. Options include treadmill, outdoor running, strength training, yoga, indoor cycling and elliptical. There are challenges such as the 5k training program, half marathon and full marathon training.
Top Aaptiv workouts
Walking Challenge – A beginner routine which is designed to bring the heart rate up and burn as many calories as possible. Makes use of steep inclines and early 2000s tracks.
Teen Spirit – An intervals class for intermediate fitness fans who want to listen to their favourite nostalgic teenage pop songs. Cardio for people who want to push through without stopping.
Intro To Yoga – A quick seven minute class which has rock tunes playing and helps people learn common yoga poses such as Down Dog and Side Angle. Designed for beginners.
EMOM – A core and arms workout, with EMOM standing for every minute on the minute. Seven moves in seven minutes to get the arm muscles and abs working.
Beast Mode Zone – An intermediate treadmill workout which moves to the mat for high intensity exercise drills. The playlist is a pop mix and the combination of cardio and strength helps with endurance.
Meditation for Pain Management – A guided meditation class which helps streamers to learn the best ways to manage their pain, whether it’s physical or mental.
60 Second Intervals – Making use of EDM music, 60 second speed intervals let streamers focus on their RPMs as they gradually add resistance to work on their muscle strength and endurance.
The mobile app has been cleverly designed to ensure people can browse workouts and track their progress quickly and easily. The homepage has options along the bottom such as Browse, Saved, Stats and Guest Pass. Categories are included, and programs for the user are recommended. There is also a search bar to find a particular workout or challenge.
When clicking on a particular workout category, a list will appear with basic information shown such as the instructor, duration, experience level and category of music featured. Clicking through to a particular workout will provide the user with more information about what they can expect to be doing. There is an option to download the workout, gift it, share it or save it.
How to watch/what setup do I need?
Aaptiv is compatible with iOS and Android devices, plus Apple Watch. iOS devices running iOS 10.0 and above will work with the app. Android devices with Android 5.0 and above will be compatible. There is no support for Windows or Blackberry at this time.
To get a connection to Aaptiv, users will need either a WiFi internet connection or 3G, 4G or LTE.
How to cancel Aaptiv
For Apple devices:
- Go to Settings, click on your name, then navigate to iTunes and App Store.
- Tap on your Apple ID.
- Tap on View Apple ID.
- Enter authentication details if necessary.
- Tap on Subscriptions, then Aaptiv, then Cancel Subscription.
For Android devices:
- Open the Google Play Store.
- Tap on Menu, then Subscriptions.
- Find the Aaptiv subscription.
- Tap on Cancel.
Plans available, trials and subscription options
There is a 7 day free trial in place, which will move to an annual cost of $99.99 plus tax unless it is cancelled beforehand. Alternatively, users can go for the monthly plan, which is $14.99 plus tax.
There are a number of fitness apps out there, most notably Peloton, which operates at a similar price point. The basic elements of these workouts are similar, as users can filter according to duration and type of music played. However, users with Aaptiv will get access to a huge range of different workout styles and genres which is often described by reviewers as the Netflix of fitness.
Is Aaptiv worth it?
Aaptiv is a great way to get fit, especially for those who don’t want to travel to a gym each day. The subscription works out much cheaper than a gym membership, regardless of whether the monthly or annual plan is chosen. With a huge range of workouts that are constantly updated, there is much more choice than the workouts selection available with classes at a physical gym. Overall, Aaptiv provides an excellent range of fitness options and good value for money.
How to sign up to Aaptiv
- Click on Start your free trial.
- Go through the fitness questionnaire.
- Pick a plan - monthly or annual.
- Enter your personal information.
- Enter your payment details.
- Start streaming!