Hulu is a streaming service which has been around for a long time. As one of the most well-known names in the industry, it made a name for itself by offering the latest TV show episodes, even while they were airing on traditional TV services. They added to their content offering by creating a selection of original series, and a few years ago it launched a live TV bundled called Hulu with Live TV. In other words, Hulu is a varied and diverse service, and a strong contender in the streaming services industry.
There are many devices you can use to stream Hulu. For example, you can use your Android TV (for on-demand services only), Apple TV, Chromecast, Fire TV and Roku. If you want to watch Hulu on the go, you can load this provider on Android, iOS and Fire devices. Alternatively, compatible video games consoles are the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 (for on-demand services only), the Xbox 360 and Xbox One, Wii U (for on demand) and the Nintendo Switch. You can also use Echo Show, the in-browser app for PC, Mac and other desktop devices, certain smart TVs and TiVo if you’re using on-demand services only.
Channels available on Hulu
There are many channels available to watch with Hulu. If you’re looking for entertainment content, you can go for Adult Swim, Food Network, Hulu Original Series, Lifetime and TLC to name but a few. For kids, options include Cartoon Network, Disney Junior, Nickelodeon, Disney Channel and Universal Kids. Finally, a mixture of news channels are available – Fox News, CNN, Bloomberg, CNBC and ABC News.
Movies and shows available on Hulu
To browse the available content, go to the ‘Browse’ button in the top left hand corner and select the filter. For example, if you want to watch TV shows, this is a filter, with genre sub categories including action, drama, family, game shows and comedy. Further filters are available as you scroll, so you can view content that it’s been predicted you will enjoy based on your preferences or viewing history. Furthermore, you can view which content is popular at the moment, which series have new episodes available, Hulu Originals and newly added shows. Available TV shows on Hulu include The Handmaid’s Tale, America’s Got Talent, Life of Kylie and King of the Hill. There are bite-sized episodes available for those who don’t have a lot of time on their hands, and you can catch up on missed episodes from both current and returning network shows. Many top comedies and dramas such as American Dad, Archer and 12 Monkeys are available to binge from the very first episode. Further filters include Staff Picks, International, Teen Shows and Anime Favourites.
When it comes to movies on Hulu, there is a similar selection of genre sub categories to use as filters, such as classics, history, horror and science fiction. Personalised recommendations are available at the top of the movies page, and there are also popular movies shown for users to browse. For example, people may be watching Deadwood The Movie, Jumanji and Night School. Certain movies are exclusive to Hulu, such as Ben is Back, Destroyer and Backtrace. Similarly, Hulu Originals are also showcased on the movies page, with titles including All That We Destroy, Ask Dr Ruth and Treehouse. If you want an 80s movie binge, to watch a critically acclaimed film or to browse staff picks, this is also possible. If you have an addon, such as HBO, Showtime or Starz, you can watch titles such as The Meg, Crazy Rich Asians, Den of Thieves, I Feel Pretty and Dr Seuss’ Horton Hears A Who.
How to sign up for Hulu
- Navigate to the Hulu website.
- Click on ‘Start your free trial’.
- Choose your plan.
- Enter your payment details. You have the ability to change your plan if you wish at this window, and the available payment methods are Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Amex Express Checkout and PayPal Checkout.
- Submit this information, and your trial will begin. After the trial period has expired, you will be charged the cost of your selected subscription plus any applicable taxes every month. You can cancel your subscription before your trial period has expired and pay nothing as a result. By selecting the Submit button, you are confirming your agreement to the recurring Hulu subscription charge.
How to cancel Hulu
- Navigate to your Account page on a computer or mobile browser.
- Select the Cancel option under Your Account.
- Follow the instructions which appear on the screen.
- You will receive a confirmation email once the cancellation is complete.
If you are billed for Hulu through a third party, there may be different steps involved if you want to cancel your subscription. This may apply if you pay for Hulu through Amazon, Roku, iTunes, Spotify or Sprint.
Prices, trials and subscription options
- Hulu (No ads) (First month free then $11.99 a month): This ad-free plan gives users unlimited access to the Hulu streaming library. You can watch TV series, movies, Hulu Originals, kids programs and more. Some shows will play with an ad break before and after the video. Specifically, due to streaming rights, Grey’s Anatomy, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and How To Get Away With Murder cannot be included in the No Ads plan and play without interruption along with a short ad break before and after each episode.
- Hulu (First month free then $5.99 a month): The ad-supported plan gives users access to the streaming library, complete with TV shows, movies, original content and family friendly content.
- Hulu + Live TV (First week free then $44.99 a month): This plan gives users the ability to watch both live and on demand television from over 60 channels. The access includes the Hulu streaming library on the ad-supported plan. Terms apply to this subscription, such as the free trials for Live TV and Add-Ons only being valid for new and eligible returning Live TV subscribers. Additionally, location data is required in order to access the mobile version of Live TV subscription content, and you can navigate to hulu.com/live-tv to check the channel availability in your location.
You can customise your Hulu subscription by adding content to your package.
- Showtime on Hulu ($10.99 a month): Watch award-winning television, movies and championship boxing. Stream new episodes and movies as they begin to air on Showtime. Watch live feeds from a number of different devices, and use your Hulu login on the Showtime Anytime app.
- Starz on Hulu ($8.99 a month): Watch original shows plus a range of theatrical releases. Stream various live feeds on supported devices and use your Hulu login to watch on demand and live content with the Starz app.
- HBO on Hulu ($14.99 a month): Gain access to the most popular shows on the planet, such as Game of Thrones and Westworld. Watch top-rated movies, sports, family programs and documentaries. Stream live feeds from various compatible devices. Create an HBO account using your Hulu login.
- Cinemax on Hulu ($9.99 a month): One for the movie fans, make the most of feature films and clips from behind the scenes. Stream movies and original series such as Banshee and Outcast. Track your watch history with the rest of your TV in one app.
Cord cutters and video on demand fans will be aware of the competitors in the streaming service industry. Some companies, such as Showtime, Starz, HBO and Cinemax will partner with Hulu in order to create an expanded package and have both businesses gain revenue from customers. However, some of the main competitors include Netflix and Amazon Prime TV. Hulu has an edge over other similar providers due to the fact it’s been around for so long and offers live TV as a separate package for those who want to watch content on popular networks.
Hulu is a household name at this point, and it’s used by millions across the US. Its content library is unparalleled, and there are many ways to filter titles and find exactly what you want to watch. Being able to add premium services and live TV adds increased value to the service, where you would not be able to find it with other contenders. Overall, Hulu is a solid choice for those who want hours of programming entertainment.