Philo is compatible with a range of devices. For example, you can use the streaming platforms and devices Apple TV, Roku and Fire TV. Additionally, you can use Android and iOS devices, which means you can browse content on your iPhone or iPad. There is also support for in-browser apps on Mac and Windows desktop devices. There is no native support available for Chromecast in the iOS and Android apps, or those on other platforms. Furthermore, it isn’t compatible with Xbox, Nintendo, Samsung Smart TV, LG Smart TV, PlayStation and VIZIO Smart TV.
Channels available on Philo
The channel range with Philo is extensive, and viewers can enjoy major channels which often come extra with other bundles. Available channels include:
- A&E – Accident and emergency, crime shows and cop specials.
- AMC – Theatrical programming and original content.
- BET – Celebrity, fashion, music, entertainment and African-American news.
- Bravo – Reality shows including multiple Real Housewives variants.
- Cartoon Network – Children’s programs, ranging from action to comedy.
- CNN – Get the latest in breaking news coverage and in-depth examination.
- Comedy Central – All the best shows and series to make you laugh.
- Discovery – Enjoy documentaries based around science, technology and history.
- Disney Channel – The latest in programming from the TV and movie giant.
- Disney Junior – Disney shows aimed at the younger child.
- E! – Get up to date on the latest entertainment news and celebrity gossip.
- ESPN – Find out the latest in the world of sports.
- Food Network – Want to become a culinary genius? Start out here.
- Fox News – Catch up on all of the news and events coverage you need to know about.
- Freeform – Enjoy popular shows like Shadowhunters and Pretty Little Liars.
- Hallmark – Make the most of holiday movies, romance specials and TV shows.
- HGTV – Get inspiration from the latest trends in home decor and interior design.
- History – Learn about key events, innovators and discoveries throughout time.
- Investigation Discovery – Documentary shows examining a range of crimes.
- Lifetime – Classic entertainment series and TV shows, plus original programs.
- MTV – Get your music fix with the latest entertainment trends from the industry.
- Nickelodeon – A range of fun and exciting childrens’ programming.
- Syfy – The latest in science fiction, horror and comics.
- TBS – Watch a range of shows, from wedding movies to Family Guy.
- TLC – The best in reality show programming for your entertainment.
- TNT – Whether it’s reality TV or action-packed movies, you’re spoilt for choice.
- Travel Channel – Get some vacation inspiration with these dreamy destinations.
- USA Network – Enjoy a range of reality TV and gripping series.
- VH1 – Music videos, pop culture and reality TV.
- WE TV – A hub for lifestyle and entertainment programs, mainly reality TV.
To navigate the content library, the in-browser app is set up like a TV guide on cable subscriptions. If you select a show or movie, you’ll find that there is also content available to watch on demand. Furthermore, favorite shows and movies can be saved. This marks the title to be recorded using Philo’s DVR feature, and you will be notified in the event of future broadcasts. Saved episodes are available to watch for a month, and there’s plenty more to watch besides.
- Unlimited Cloud DVR – Philo has unlimited DVR storage, and shows are available to watch for the following 30 days. If you start recording after tuning into a channel, the recording starts from the beginning of the program.
- Simultaneous viewing – You can have three streams going at once with this service.
- TV Everywhere – There are TV Everywhere logins for most of the available channels, such as Food Network, HGTV and Comedy Central.
- No parental controls – There aren’t parental controls available with a Philo subscription.
- 72 hour rewind – You can watch shows that you didn’t record for up to three days after they aired, making a lot of shows available which aren’t usually on demand.
When it comes to technical specifications, HD video is available with 720p resolution and a frame rate of 30 per second. The live delay is 25 seconds, and channel switching takes 4.5 seconds.
As part of your Philo subscription, the TV Everywhere feature allows you to view live and on demand channels using the network or channel’s TV Everywhere app. It’s possible to use most of these apps on devices such as Fire TV, iOS, Android, Roku and Apple TV. The benefits of using TV Everywhere with Philo are numerous – you can watch live shows beyond Philo’s three simultaneous streams offering, and stream on demand shows you can’t access using the base Philo service. Furthermore, you can stream live sports on overflow channels and access streaming shows on platforms not available with a Philo subscription.
How to sign up for Philo
- Navigate to the Philo website.
- Enter your mobile number or click on the option to enter your email address.
- Enter your payment information.
- Click on Subscribe Now.
- You will not be charged until your trial period is over.
How to cancel Philo
- Log into your Philo account.
- Visit your Account page.
- Click on Cancel my account, which is located at the bottom of the page.
- Follow the instructions to complete the process.
- You will be able to watch Philo until your current billing cycle is over.
Price, trials and subscription options
The price and trial options are simple with Philo. As a new customer, you can take advantage of a 7 day free trial. All you have to enter to get started is your mobile number. If you enter your billing information after 48 hours, you will gain another 5 days of free access. After the trial, your subscription will begin, but this can be cancelled at any time if you decide the service is no longer for you. Furthermore, if you cancel your subscription before the trial period is over, you won’t have to pay a thing. The subscription for Philo offers 58 channels for $20 per month, without a contract being involved.
There are several competitors out there when it comes to skinny bundles, or even general live streaming options in the industry. The main shortfall with Philo is that it doesn’t offer extensive sports coverage, so if this is what you’re looking for, you may be better off with a plan from a provider such as fuboTV. Alternatively, Sling TV has a similarly and competitively priced package which includes the sports channels Philo lacks, but you can only stream on one device at a time. Ultimately, if you want a skinny bundle with a focus on entertainment programming, Philo is a top choice.
Philo is an innovative new solution to streaming services pricing due to the fact it provides a skinny bundle with a focus on particular types of programming. If you spend most of your time watching entertainment and reality TV, then Philo could be the perfect choice for you. You can watch a range of live and on demand programs, plus record titles that remain on file for a month. The TV Everywhere feature unlocks even more programs, and the ability to stream from multiple devices at once makes this service flexible for all the family. Overall, Philo is a strong choice for those who want a budget-friendly way to access all of their favorite entertainment channels.