Pros and Cons
- Multiple device streaming. Starz lets users watch streams on up to four devices at the same time, which is a generous allowance.
- Hit original series. Exclusive programming such as Vida, Outlander and The Spanish Princess can only be watched on Starz.
- Unlimited HD streaming. Customers who have the tech to watch content in HD can make the most of no limits with Starz.
- Pricing. At $8.99 a month, Starz is on par with some major competitors which offer a wider range of content.
- Technical issues. Some users have complained online that they have struggled with some of the app’s features.
- Billing issues. A few customers have expressed their discontent online as they believe they have been charged without warning.
Types of content available
The content offering on Starz is broken down into TV series, movies and the network TV schedule. When it comes to series, these are divided into categories such as Popular, Crime Dramas and Comedy. In the movies department, a similar set of categories is seen. With the schedule, advance programming is shown so people can see when their favourite shows are on.
Top Starz TV shows and movies
The Equalizer 2 – A mysterious character called Robert McCall delivers vigilante justice when people are at the end of their rope.
Spiderman: Far From Home – Peter Parker is trying to relax on vacation in Europe, but Nick Fury shows up in his hotel room with a mission.
Napoleon Dynamite – A socially awkward teenager struggles to make friends, and his strange uncle shows up to monitor him.
The Secret Life of Bees – A 14 year old girl runs away from a traumatic life to a South Carolina town to discover her mother’s past.
Fried Green Tomatoes – Evelyn is inspired by an old woman’s tales from her past to change her own life for the better.
Vida – A series which focuses on two Mexican-American siblings living in East Los Angeles who are polar opposites.
Outlander – Claire was a nurse in World War II, but she is transported back to 1743 into a strange new world.
Sweetbitter – Tess shows up in New York City wanting a job, and becomes entranced by the people she meets working in a restaurant.
Hightown – A body washes onto the shore during a holiday weekend, which causes drama for an officer who tries to solve the case alone.
Power – James seems to have the perfect life, but he has a secret one behind the scenes as he runs a drug empire.
It’s easy to navigate the Starz website, as the interface is bold, highly intuitive and makes use of clear signposting. Along the top, users can choose to browse TV series, movies, the network schedule or use the search function to browse for a specific title. Original series are highlighted, along with the free trial and upcoming content.
As for the layout of the TV series and movies sections, the rows of categories are similar to the interface seen with Netflix and Disney Plus, making it familiar for many streaming veterans.
How to watch and system requirements
There are a good range of compatible devices for Starz. These include:
- Apple iPhone, iPad and iPod
- Amazon Kindle Fire Tablets and Kindle Fire Phones
- Most Android devices
- Apple TV
- Amazon Fire TV and Fire Stick
- Android TV – Nexus Player, Nvidia Shield and Razer Forge
- Roku – 2nd Generation Roku 2, 3 and 4, and Roku Stick
- Xbox One and One S
- Smart TVs – Sony, Samsung, LG
- Microsoft Windows 8 or above
- Apple OS X 10.5.7 or above
- Current versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Edge web browsers
How to cancel Starz
- Sign in to your Starz account.
- Click on the Subscriptions link.
- Click on Cancel Subscription.
- Enter a reason for cancelling your subscription.
- Click on Continue Cancellation.
Plans, trials and subscription options
Starz offers a 7 day free trial, with no charge being applied to accounts until after this period has expired. Users can cancel at any time online, and there is no long term contract. Starz is priced at $8.99 a month.
Starz has some stiff competition in the streaming industry, with big players such as Amazon Prime Video, Netflix and Disney Plus dominating the market. However, the appeal Starz manages to consistently drum up comes about partly due to its original programming which is exclusive to the platform, and partly as it is available as an add-on for many providers, including:
- Prime Video Channels
- Atlantic Broadband
- Frontier Communications
- Sudden Link
Is Starz worth it?
If you want to expand your streaming options and spend a lot of time checking out original series on various platforms, Starz is worth checking out. The pricing may put people off, but if you get stuck into some of the original programming and other content exclusive to the platform, and budget isn’t so much of an issue, Starz can provide a valuable addition to any streaming library.
How to sign up to Starz
- Click on Start Your Free Trial.
- Enter your personal information.
- Enter your payment details.
- Start streaming!