There are some single-channel streaming services, such as HBO, Showtime and Starz, which create content designed exclusively for streaming customers. In other words, it doesn’t air on their broadcast channels, enticing people towards signing up for an online subscription. CBS All Access is an example of such a setup, and users gain access to a backlog of CBS shows, plus original content like The Good Fight and Star Trek: Discovery. Furthermore, viewers can also make the most of local news coverage and live NFL games.
There are many compatible devices which can be used with CBS All Access. If you want to use a TV, your options include Google Chromecast, Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV. Android TV and Roku will also work, as will mobile devices such as iPhone and Android phones. Tablets which will load this platform successfully are iPad and Android tablets, and you can use video game consoles such as PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo. Smart TVs like the Samsung smart TV, VIZIO smart TV and LG smart TV are additional options, as is loading CBS All Access in a web browser on your laptop or desktop device, regardless of whether it runs Windows or Mac.
Content available with CBS All Access
There are many past and current CBS shows available with the online catalog, plus live content which will stream from CBS news channels. Here’s an overview of the kind of content you can expect:
- 60 Minutes – Hour-long coverage of America’s most pressing issues.
- CBS Evening News – Breaking news, features and human interest stories.
- Face the Nation – Politicians and government leaders join newsmakers to discuss current events.
All-Access Only Titles
- Star Trek: Discovery – The adventures of the crew on the USS Discovery around a decade before Captain Kirk’s 5 year mission.
- The Good Fight – Begins a year after the events in the final episode of The Good Wife and chronicles Diane and Maia rebuilding their careers and lives at a new firm.
- NCIS – A group of people with varied and strong personalities work together investigating crimes.
- Blue Bloods – Centers around a family of cops, where one is invited to take part in a top secret investigation
- Elementary – Sherlock Holmes travels from London to Manhattan after spending time in rehab.
- Man with a Plan – When Adam takes on more parental responsibilities, he learns his children aren’t the little angels he thought they were.
- Young Sheldon – Nine year old Sheldon skips four grades at school and struggles with navigating life as an intellectual with a high IQ.
- Kevin Can Wait – Chronicling the life of Kevin, a recently retired New York cop and father of three.
- The Big Bang Theory – Join science nerds Sheldon, Leonard, Raj and Howard as they struggle to navigate the world of social obligations and relationships.
- The Twilight Zone – Episodes combining drama, horror, science fiction, comedy and superstition.
- Star Trek – The interstellar adventures of the USS Enterprise.
- Hawaii 5-0 – Detectives aim to eliminate crime on the island.
CBS All Access user interface
The CBS All Access user interface comprises a navigation menu with a bright blue theme. Available sections include shows, full episodes, live TV, movies and more. If you want to find something specific, you can make use of the search bar towards the right. Additionally, you can access your profile settings on the right hand side of this screen.
While navigating the profile settings menu, you have several options. You can edit your contact information, link your profile to your Facebook and Twitter accounts, or set up email notifications to keep you in the loop. There is also a help portal, which provides a collection of FAQs about the service.
The shows icon, when clicked, directs the user to a list of all the CBS shows which are available. Content headers split the titles up into various genres, such as originals, drama, specials, reality and classics. When it comes to live TV, there’s the local CBS station, CBS for 24/7 news, and CBS SportsHQ. The provider will detect the location you reside in and content may vary according to this factor. There are over 200 different markets with the local channels, so it’s likely you will have access. With the schedule section, you can see what primetime television is scheduled to air over the next fortnight.
CBS All Access also provides users with a mobile app, which launches quickly and prompts users to either sign in or sign up. The menu is similar to that seen with the desktop edition, so you can browse shows, live TV, movies, schedule, shop and settings. The colour theme is blue and black, and ads will be displayed on the bottom of the screen.
On the right hand side, there is a Chromecast button for streaming to TV and a search bar for discovering specific content. A newer feature available with the iOS and Android apps is offline downloads, which makes it similar functionally to Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. All you have to do in order to download content is tap the corresponding icon next to any title which supports the feature. Not all of the shows will be eligible for watching offline, but you will be able to make use of this feature with most of the networks’ original shows.
Within the app settings, you can make changes to your download preferences. One option is toggling the auto-delete upon completion section, and you can also choose whether you will restrict downloads to only be carried out when you’re connected to a Wi-Fi network. Furthermore, you can decide whether you would prefer SD or HD downloads.
If you’re wondering how much space you have left for downloads on your device, there will be a graph displaying the storage distribution. You have an allowance to download up to 25 videos at any single point in time. The same video can also be kept on up to five devices. When it comes to deletion of these videos, CBS will do this either 30 days after download or 48 hours from when playback begins.
Pricing, trials and subscriptions
There is a one week trial available for the price plans, which allows you to try out the service before purchasing. You can cancel the trial before this timeframe expires and not pay anything. Alternatively, you can progress onto one of the following plans:
- Limited commercials ($5.99 a month)
- Commercial free ($9.99 a month)
CBS All Access provides a comprehensive range of content for those who enjoy watching content on this network. From live TV to original programming, there is something for everyone to enjoy. Whether you’re streaming at home or downloading content to view on the go, this platform provides versatile options to suit a range of viewing preferences. The one week trial gives people time to come to a final decision about whether they want to use the service for longer, and the plans are competitively priced. The interface is easy to navigate and you can either search for content or divide it up into genres and categories to streamline the discovery process. Overall, CBS All Access is a high quality option for streaming service fans.