CBSN is a news channel that is available exclusively over the internet. Owned and operated by CBS News, CBSN can be accessed on Android and iOS devices, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, Xbox, and PlayStation as well as via web browser.
Founded in 2014 with a focus on a younger audience, the channel is free-to-air and ad-supported, which helps to keep it free. Recently, CBSN expanded into creating local, state-specific streaming services called CBS Local. As of 2020, CBS Local operates in 10 markets, from New York to Chicago. Besides CBS Local, CBSN has also forayed into CBS Sports HQ – which is a live sports news channel covering major sports across the world.
CBSN has a fairly simple, straightforward user interface that gives users the freedom to switch between live streams and original content. The service operates internationally, specifically in Australia via 10 All Access.
CBSN is a 24/7 free news channel covering breaking news and live coverage of the latest developments across the world. It also has segments where renowned personalities from various industries provide an in-depth look into the most recent current affairs.
With an average viewer age of 38, the channel relies on advertisements for its revenue, which also allows it to provide the service for free. The channel’s success led to popular spinoffs, namely CBS Sports HQ and ET (Entertainment) Live, which offer niche-specific news.
How to Stream CBSN Without Cable
- Base plan costs $55/month and includes 100 channels
- Fubo Family plan costs $60/month with more channels and ability to watch 3 live streams at the same time
- Fubo Ultra plan costs $80/month which is inclusive of all the add-on options that the users can add individually if they choose to
- Users can cancel any time after the 7-day free trial
- Ability to add major streaming networks such as Showtime
- More suited for sports-specific channels and users looking for coverage of major sports across the world
- Broadcasts content in 4K video resolution
- Compatible devices include Amazon Fire TV, Roku, Apple TV, Android/iOS, Web, Xbox One
- Also includes offerings from CBSN’s parent company Viacom, which are included in the base plan
- Owned and operated by The Walt Disney Company
- For $55/month, users get access to Hulu’s entire library
- Inclusion of Cloud DVR gives users the ability to record their favorite segments or shows to watch later
- Users can add premium content from Showtime, HBO and Cinemax for $14.99, $10.99 and $9.99 per month respectively
- Simplistic and minimalistic UI design gives users the freedom to customize as they please
- Offers CBS News
- Pricing begins at as little as $5.99 per month
- Comes with a 60 day free trial
- Stream in smooth 720p resolution
- Subscribers can stream on two devices at the same time