Food Network is an American TV channel which was founded in 1993. It was originally known as TV Food Network. The channel is a joint venture between the Television Food Network GP and Discovery Inc. The latter holds the majority of the shares with 69%. Food Network’s sister channels include Cooking Channel, Animal Planet, TLC, and the Travel Channel.
The channel’s main headquarters are in New York City, but it also has offices across the country in Knoxville, Cincinnati, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Detroit, Jersey City, and Atlanta. Despite being a US TV channel, it is also available in other countries such as the UK, Brazil, South Africa, Turkey, and Russia. The UK version of the channel was launched in 2009 and Food Network became available in Asia the following year.
It is reported that over 91 million households in the US have the Food Network channel, which accounts for more than 98% of households with cable. Additionally, it has been available in HD since 2008.
The channel’s specialty is food and it features many one-off and episodic programs relating to the topic. Some shows are pre-recorded, while others are presented live. Food Network partnered with Snapchat in 2015 to launch the channel Discover Food Network. Users can watch the channel using the app and get access to cooking tips, recipes, and food hacks to make cooking easier.
Food Network is focused on cookery, which means it features a number of demonstration-based cooking shows and general food-based programs. Some of Food Network’s programs have regular broadcast times and are a part of a series while others are exclusive one-off specials. It is also possible to catch up on shows as most are repeated several times.
The channel started with just five different original shows, but it now produces hundreds of hours of original content every single month. In the US, it broadcasts 24 hours a day.
Much of the content on the Food Network focuses on famous chefs and cooking personalities. Famous presenters from both sides of the Atlantic, such as Martha Stewart and Jamie Oliver, are seen in the programming schedule.
Food Network is watched by people of all ages, but 58% of viewers are reported to be women and 54% are aged between 18 and 49. Some of the most popular peak-time programs include Food Paradise, which showcases some of America’s best eateries, and Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, which focuses on US diner culture.
How to Stream Food Network Without Cable
- Plans start at $20 a month
- Offers up to 32 channels
- Additional channels available include ESPN and Bloomberg
- Compatible on multiple platforms such as Fire TV, desktop and laptop computers, mobile devices and Roku
- Has more than 70,000 on-demand videos available
- No contract involved
- Plans start at $54.99 a month
- Up to 500 hours of Cloud DVR on offer
- Basic package offers over 100 channels
- Works on multiple platforms
- Add-ons available
- Strong focus on sports
- Monthly subscription cost is $54.99
- 50 hours of Cloud DVR with the option to increase it to 200 hours for a small fee
- Unlimited access to the Hulu on-demand streaming library
- Over 60 channels available
- HD quality streaming resolution
- Kids mode available for child-friendly viewing options
- HBO Now is free for the first year upon subscribing
- Plans start at $49.99 a month for 65 channels
- 500 GB of Cloud DVR storage on offer
- Voice control compatible (Google Assistant)
- More than 40,000 titles available for on-demand viewing
- Regional sports coverage available
- Standard subscription is $49.99 a month
- Includes over 8 premium entertainment channels
- Over 70 channels offered overall
- Unlimited Cloud DVR storage
- HD quality streaming
- Programmable recording function
- 7-day free trial
- Subscription costs $20 a month
- 55 channels available
- Large on-demand library available
- View on up to 3 devices simultaneously
- 72-hour rewind function