Fox News is a conservative news channel owned by Fox News Media – itself owned by the Fox Corporation. The channel broadcasts mostly from its studio in New York City.
Fox News was created by the media tycoon Rupert Murdoch, who wanted to create a conservative news network. Roger Ailes, a former Republican media consultant, became the channel’s first-ever CEO. The first broadcast by Fox News was on October 7th, 1996, and 17 million cable subscribers had access to the inaugural program.
Fox News averaged 2.5 million viewers in 2019. That year, the news channel was available in 87 million American homes, which accounts for almost 91% of all TV subscribers.
While it is primarily a US-based news network, Fox News is available in 85 other countries throughout North and South America, Europe, and Asia.
Fox News is renowned for its conservative news coverage, meaning that its reporting often favors the Republican party and conservative views. It was speculated that the channel was overly biased towards the administrations of both George W Bush and Donald Trump while being negative towards Democrat presidents such as Barack Obama.
During the third Presidential debate in 2012, the total number of viewers peaked at over 11.5 million. The GOP candidates’ forum in 2016 rated even higher, with 24 million viewers watching at one point. Fox News is generally the highest-rated prime time news channel, beating the likes of CNN and MSNBC.
During early 2020, all cable news figures increased. World news consumption increased, and this led to more Americans watching Fox News. The first three months of the year were Fox News’ most successful in its history. During this period, the network’s most highly rated shows, The Sean Hannity Show and Tucker Carlson Tonight, both averaged around 4.2 million viewers.
The results of a 2013 poll which was conducted by Gallup found that 94% of the viewers of Fox News either identified as Republican or have conservative-leaning views. Fox News appeals to conservative viewers of all ages. The 25 to 54 age group made up an average of 557,000 of the total viewers in 2008, but this figure declined to just 379,000 by 2013. During this same period, the average number of viewers increased from 1.89 million to 2.02 million. This is a strong indicator that most Fox News viewers are over the age of 54. In 2015, the news channel revealed that the median age of its viewers is 68 years.
How to Stream Fox News Without Cable
- 7-day free trial
- Cheapest US streaming alternative in the US, starting at $20 a month
- Offers several other news channels including CNN and MSNBC
- 10 hours of DVR available
- No contract
- Multiple add-on packages available
- Plans from $54.99 a month
- 109 channels available
- Supports streaming on 2 devices simultaneously
- Works on multiple platforms including desktop and mobile devices
- Strong focus on sports
- Add-ons available for every package
Hulu Live TV
- Subscription is $54.99 a month
- 60+ channels available
- Has more than 28 million subscribers
- Allows customizable subtitles
- Unlimited access to Hulu’s streaming library
- Safe viewing mode for kids
- HD quality
AT&T TV Now
- $49.99 a month for 65 channels
- Supports voice control using Google Assistant
- 500 hours of Cloud DVR
- More than 40,000 titles in its on-demand library
- HBO Max and Showtime channel available
- Access to regional sports
- 14-day free trial
- Costs $49.99 a month
- Works on multiple platforms
- Offers voice control
- Unlimited DVR storage
- Programmable recording function