Hallmark Channel is an American television channel owned by Hallmark Cards, Inc. It went live in 1984 as a combination of two networks, the American Christian Television System (ACTS) and Vision Interfaith Satellite Network. The two channels shared a transponder slot, each broadcasting their programming in scheduled air-time blocks. During this period, the channel aired religious programs for 16 hours a day. These mostly came from Protestant denominations in the US, although there was other religious content aired too.
This coverage lasted until 1995, when Tele-Communications Inc. bought a 49% stake in the channel and took over operative and networking control. The narrative changed, with religion-based shows reduced to 10 hours per day. In other hours, secular blocks were introduced to diversify the channel and increase viewership. This change culminated in the channel being renamed to Odyssey Network.
With a new name, the broadcasting company began expanding its scope by producing original material under the name Odyssey Productions. At the same time, Hallmark Entertainment bought a controlling stake in the channel and went on to create TV series like The Odyssey, Gulliver’s Travels and so on.
In 1999, Hallmark Entertainment asked famous television executive and producer Margaret Loesch to assist with rebranding the channel. The restructuring and rebranding was finished by 2001, and the Odyssey Network was renamed Hallmark Channel – a name which has remained to this day. After rebranding, the channel removed religious programming and focused on family-oriented content.
Hallmark primarily airs off-network movies and original TV shows. The channel is family-friendly, with selected movies and TV shows having an inspirational, feel-good narrative. The schedule typically features movies and series like Home & Family, When Calls the Heart, and Love Under the Olive Tree. The genres vary, and could include dramas, westerns, seasonal content and more.
The channel’s executives keep their original productions apolitical and promote traditional family values, while avoiding anything that denounces and deprecates religion. These practices have shaped their viewership with the majority of viewers being conservatives living in suburban and rural areas. The median age of Hallmark Channel’s audience is in the 50s and 60s range.
Since 2015, the channel has aired content aimed to be more appealing to younger audiences, such as Good Witch, The Addams Family, and so on. This change led to viewers in the 18 to 49 age bracket increasing by 38%.
Hallmark Channel is especially famous for its rich and diverse seasonal programming, continuously airing themed movies and TV shows before and during the holidays. These include Winterfest, Countdown to Valentine’s, Spring Fever, Fall Harvest and so on.
How To Stream Hallmark Channel Without Cable
- 7-day free trial
- Two subscriptions available – Orange and Blue (each costs $30 per month)
- Combo Orange + Blue package available for $45 a month
- No contract – cancel anytime without additional fees
- 10 hours of Cloud DVR storage included with all subscriptions
- 30 extra hours of Cloud DVR for just $5 a month
- Watch Hallmark Channel with the Lifestyle Extras package, priced at $5.99 a month
- 7-day free trial
- Five subscription plans: Family, Fubo Standard, Family Plan with Showtime, Ultra and Fubo Espanol
- Plans start at $54.99 a month
- Up to 500 hours of Cloud DVR storage included
- No contract or hidden fees – users can cancel at any time
- Included in 4 out of 5 available subscriptions (not Fubo Espanol)
- 7-day free trial
- Seven different subscription plans available: Entertainment, Choice, Xtra, Optimo Mas, Ultimate, Pro and Max
- Plans start at $55 a month
- 500 hours of Cloud DVR storage included with all subscriptions
- Included in 6 out of 7 subscriptions (excluding Optimo Mas)
- No yearly contracts – users can cancel anytime without incurring additional charges
- 2-day free trial available by simply entering a mobile number
- Trial can be extended to 7 days if billing information is provided
- One subscription plan available at just $20 a month
- Unlimited Cloud DVR storage, with saved files available for a maximum of 30 days
- No contract – subscribers can cancel at any time without worrying about hidden fees
- Over 50 major channels included, such as A&E, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon