As the coronavirus pandemic rages on, more and more movies are being postponed or are headed straight to streaming. On Thursday (July 23rd), Disney delayed several of their movies.
Every Star Wars and Avatar movie set to be released in the next few years has been delayed by one year. The knock on effect of this disruption means that Disney’s release schedule has been affected as far forward as 2028. This is nothing new for Avatar – the sequels have been plagued with delays for years, with Avatar 2 initially planned for December 2014.
Ridley Scott’s The Last Duel has also been delayed nearly a full year.
Meanwhile, Mulan and Wes Anderson’s The French Dispatch were both indefinitely delayed.
A spokesperson for Disney said: ‘It’s become clear that nothing can be set in stone when it comes to how we release films during this global health crisis. Today that means pausing our release plans for Mulan as we assess how we can most effectively bring this film to audiences around the world’.
Mulan was scheduled to hit theaters in March 2020, but was repeatedly delayed. It looked likely to be the first blockbuster to return to theaters after Warner Bros. indefinitely delayed Tenet, but now that Disney have pulled Mulan from its August 21st release date, it seems the next major movie to get a theatrical release will be The New Mutants on August 28th. Whether The New Mutants will stick to its release date remains to be seen.
You can check out the new release dates, as well as the original dates, below:
- Untitled Star Wars movie – originally December 16th 2022, now December 22nd 2023
- Untitled Star Wars movie – originally December 20th 2024, now December 19th 2025
- Untitled Star Wars movie – originally December 18th 2026, now December 17th 2027
- Avatar 2 – originally December 2021, now December 16th 2022
- Avatar 3 – originally December 2023, now December 20th 2024
- Avatar 4 – originally December 2025, now December 2026
- Avatar 5 – originally December 2027, now December 2028
- The Last Duel – originally January 8th 2021, now October 15th 2021
- Mulan – originally March 9th, postponed to August 21st, now indefinitely delayed
- The French Dispatch – originally July 24th, postponed to October 16th, now indefinitely delayed
While you wait for the next blockbusters to hit the big screen, why not check out Disney’s catalogue with Disney Plus? You’ll be able to stream the entire Star Wars saga, as well as the Marvel Cinematic Universe and more.