Animal Planet is a channel located in the US which is owned by Discovery, Inc. This channel first began its life in 1996, and the main option for viewers was documentaries and series about domestic and wild creatures.
To begin with, Animal Planet had partnered with the BBC in a joint partnership. As a result, they were able to offer a number of treasured nature documentaries. In 2008, the programming changed slightly so that more mature content, including predatory and aggressive animals, was shown. Furthermore, there was also quite an increase in reality shows which focused on people involved in occupations and investigations related to animals.
Back in 2007, Animal Planet registered a 9% drop in its primetime viewership. To come back from this slump, the planet has focused on a more immersive experience in order to appeal to a broader and more mature demographic.
In 2018, Animal Planet worked on its rebranding project. While they adopted a family-oriented content slate, they still retained some of their more mature shows. In 2016, Animal Planet was viewed by 91.6 million households across the United States. Furthermore, Discovery, Inc has licensed international versions of the channel across the world.
While the channel initially offered nature documentaries which focused on domestic animals, Animal Planet now offers a broader range of content in its scheduling. For example, additions to the channel in recent times include the Orangutan Island and Meerkat Manor. There are also options which cover the genres of reality television and sitcoms to name but a few.
One of the most popular specials which shows on Animal Planet is the Puppy Bowl. This annual show features puppies who play in a staged football match. To begin with, this feature was narrated by Harry Kalas, a commentator who is known for narrating NFL films. Puppy Bowl used to air in the afternoon before the NFL’s Super Bowl.
Another top Animal Planet title is The Zoo. This much-loved reality series premiered in 2017 and offers various looks behind the scenes of zoo environments. For other popular programs, viewers may like to try out Pit Bulls & Parolees (which focuses on the common misconceptions surrounding the pit bull dog breed) and River Monsters (a British-American wildlife documentary).
How to Stream Animal Planet Without Cable
- Low-cost and sports-free streaming service which offers competitive rates
- More than 58 packages included for only $20 per month
- Includes Animal Planet, DIY Network, Discovery, Science, and History channels
- 30 day unlimited cloud DVR storage
- Compatible with Roku, Fire TV, mobile phones, computers, and more
- Does not require a contract
- Has an extensive on-demand library for further options
- 7-day free trial
- Affordable combination of a vast on-demand library with live streaming
- Priced at only $55 per month and includes more than 70 channels
- Includes Animal Planet, plus CNN, Discovery Channel, Disney Channel, Nat Geo Wild, and more
- Add-ons are available for extra premium networks and channels
- Cloud DVR available with a default maximum storage limit of 50 hours
- Ability to upgrade Cloud DVR to 200 hours for $9.99
- No contract required
- Compatible with most devices: Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, and more
- Reasonably priced with a wide variety of channels available
- One package priced at just $50 per month
- Includes Animal Planet, Discovery Network, National Geographic, and more
- Unlimited Cloud DVR for up to 9 months
- Supports up to 6 accounts per subscription – and each account gets its own DVR
- The on-demand library provides access to countless titles
- Outstanding selection of over 70 channels
- The standard package is priced at $55 per month and includes Animal Planet, Discovery, TLC, and more
- An impressive collection of more than 100 channels
- Compatible with nearly all devices and supports up to two streams simultaneously
- 30 hours of Cloud DVR storage included in the standard package
- Easy to use interface offers an excellent experience
- Numerous popular networks are available, such as AMC
- Excellent coverage of local and regional sports networks