There is not too long to wait now until season 4 of wildly popular series The Crown is released on streaming giant Netflix. This show has covered the life of the royals, in particular the Queen, and the latest instalment covers the next time period chronologically.
Here is everything you need to know about the new season, from the release date to the cast, trailer and more.
When will season 4 of The Crown come out on Netflix?
Will there be another season of The Crown?
There will be not just one, but two more series of The Crown, so there is plenty to enjoy yet!
Season 4 spoilers and fan theories
What we know so far is that season four begins in 1979 and ends in 1990. Previous seasons were earlier in time – the first season was 1947 to 1955, the second season was 1956 to 1964 and the third season was 1964 to 1977.
This time period means that season four will include the following major historical event connected to the Thatcher years:
- IRA attacks
- The Falklands War
- Britain’s troubled relationship with South Africa (as it was under apartheid rule)
- Downing Street and Buckingham Palace struggling after Thatcher’s victory in 1979
- Thatcher being removed by her own Cabinet in 1990
- Prince Charles courting Lady Diana Spencer
- Charles and Diana marrying in 1981
- The King’s commitment to Camilla Parker Bowles
- The King and Camilla touring Australia in 1983
- Diana’s solo tour of New York City
- Princess Margaret’s mental health struggles
- Princess Anne’s marriage to Captain Mark Phillips
The Crown season 4 cast
- Olivia Colman – Queen Elizabeth II
- Tobias Menzies – Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- Helena Bonham Carter – Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon
- Ben Daniels – Antony Armstrong-Jones, Earl of Snowdon
- Marion Bailey – Queen Elizabeth, wife of George VI, mother of Elizabeth II, known as Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother
- Erin Doherty – Princess Anne
- Josh O’Connor – Prince Charles
- Emerald Fennell – Camilla Parker Bowles
- Charles Dance – Louis Mountbatten – 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma
- Emma Corrin – Lady Diana Spencer
- Gillian Anderson – Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher
- Tom Byrne – Prince Andrew
- Jessica Aquilina – Sarah Ferguson
- Angus Imrie – Prince Edward
- Rebecca Humphries – Carol Thatcher
Is there a trailer for season 4?
Netflix has released a trailer for season four of The Crown, which teases many upcoming plot points. For example, we see Diana in isolation as the monarchy is such a public spectacle, and her wedding is also depicted.
The trailer shows Charles and Diana’s union with the turbulent events within it, and the voiceover states there will be more ‘miseries’ than ‘splendors’.
Season 3 recap – what happened?
Key events covered in season 3 include:
- Harold Wilson being elected as prime minister
- Sir Anthony Blunt being revealed as a Soviet spy
- Edward Heath’s time as prime minister
- The Aberfan disaster
- The Apollo 11 moon landing
- The Investiture of Prince Charles in 1969
- The death of the Duke of Windsor
- The death and state funeral of Winston Churchill
- Princess Margaret’s affair with Roddy Llewellyn
- The Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II
Where is The Crown filmed?
It has been reported that around 90 filming locations were used for The Crown’s fourth season. Buckingham Palace is one of them, but here are some other locations.
- Windsor Castle – filmed at Belvoir Castle and Burghley House
- Kensington Palace – filmed at Harefield Grove, Brocket Hall and Wellington College
- Sandringham – filmed at Somerleyton Hall
- Highgrove – filmed at Somerley House
- Clarence House – filmed at High Canons
- Gatcombe Park – filmed at Wrotham Park